• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this atto benchmark look right for a Maxtor ATA 133 7200rpm 2mb drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As compared to 2 Western Digital ATA 100 7200RPM 8mb PATA to SATA in RAID 0.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 142
your maxtor should read around 30-35mb/s. have you defragged recently? is the drive nearly full?

How loud are the platters supposed to be on the drive? My Western Digitals is silent compared to the Maxtor right now.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 143
Well - I reformated and the drive is still at this speed.

I'm not able to download powermax from maxtors website. I pressed the agree button for the disclosure and it doesn't take me anywhere. Anyone have a copy o their computer?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 92
Alright - I fixed the problem through device manager. It was running on DMA mode 3 rather than UMDA mode 6 - ATA 133.

Maxtor is suppose to be one of the silent brands. Maybe "acoustic management" is disabled? Look in S. Sandra to find out. If it's disabled you can download a program called "SetAcousticManagment" from maxtors website. Then you frun the program and enable acoustic managment. That should quiet down the disk a bit, but you will take a small performance hit in seektime.

BTW:That is almost the exact same "score" I get for my maxtor disks.

It normally configures properly, but check the device manager on the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller > Properties > Advanced tab to make sure it's in UMDA mode. Also, if it's on XP, check the event manager for CRC or device errors. XP can ramp down UDMA modes to attampt to prevent errors.

Back