• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dangers of Plasma Balls?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zob

Registered
After searching through various forums as well as various vendors, I have been left with the idea that a Plasma ball (inside of a computer) could have harmful effects on other peices of hardware. Is this true?

oh like those things u touch and they all are attracted to ur fingers right... well if ur talking about that they cause less radiation that ur comp overall, or any component in ur pc... Glass is a great insulator, including insulation of radiation... check out this link: http://www.blingmethod.com/ and check out version five the last pic.. itll tell ya...

I'd shield the power supply for it in a small metal box, but the globe itself should be no problem.

Don't those plasma balls work with static electricity...? Static electricity and computers DO NOT mix as most of us know.

Background info: Static electricity that you can feel is 30,000V. Static electricity that you can see (blue arc) is 60,000V. Ammount of static electricity required to damage an electrical device in a computer? 30V Food for thought :)

-steve-

ChiefScout said:
actually its a lot less than 30,000 volts to feel it. Its more like 500 i think. And the glass is acting as an insulator, so there is no problem.

I have several A+ certificiation books that say 30,000V, but it may very well be 500. I'm just saying what i read.

-steve-

0-one said:

I have several A+ certificiation books that say 30,000V, but it may very well be 500. I'm just saying what i read.

-steve-

Ok, nevertheless, just wondering but would this glass not absorb it?
Also i asked this question but with the plasma ball outise near my monitor on my desk, and no one responded. I moved the plasma ball cuz it was messin around with my stereo output, so i guess it has some effect.

I guess i could try google. lol

~Zoltan

I'm not sure if the glass absorbs it, i think it does, but then why would your hand like stand up and stuff? Is your finger like "closing the circuit?"

-steve-

0-one said:
I'm not sure if the glass absorbs it, i think it does, but then why would your hand like stand up and stuff? Is your finger like "closing the circuit?"

-steve-

what do you mean hand stand up?
The hairs? if so my hairs dont stand up when i touch it.

Zoltan

Yea, i meant hair, sorry...i'm an idiot. You know those things though, that you touch, and your hair stands up? Maybe they're more powerful than the little things we're talkinga bout.

-steve-

Ok, nevertheless, just wondering but would this glass not absorb it?

No, the glass does not abosorb it. The glass sheilds it, but it does not mean that the electricity can find another path out of the globe. Have you ever taken a piece of aluminum foil, and dropped in on one of those globes? Just don't be holding it.

The only reason the "electricity" is visible inside the ball is because the electricity is superheating the gas in it, causing the molocules to vibrate and generate visual energy.

I would be on the safe side and not put one in your computer.

i've had one in my case for months with absolutely no problems. clear acrylic though. metal case may make a difference. as far as anything else goes, how much riskier is it than having water flowing through your case?

Can soemone attach an image as exactly how they put it in their case? I just can't visualize it properly. Thanks

-steve-

0-one said:
Yea, i meant hair, sorry...i'm an idiot. You know those things though, that you touch, and your hair stands up? Maybe they're more powerful than the little things we're talkinga bout.

-steve-

your thinking of a tesla coil that will discharge great amounts of static electricity.

All a plasma ball is really, is another lightbulb. It's a glass enclosure filled with gas which illuminates when power is applied to it. I don't see how this could create any sort of harmful interference to your computer components, especially when people are already putting all sorts of lights and converters inside their cases to power things.

Even if they do create interference, hardware has pretty good error detection/correction any more and you could observe any errors or slowdowns by running some simple benchmarks.

From what I know, I see no problem with a plasma ball... It's just another light.

HuMm. i think im going to have to go with IMOG on this one guy's i cant see no problem with plasma ball's.. Just another light to me.
-Orange Fire.

Yoshi, on TechTV built a whole computer case out of the lightning-plasma panels that he had custom made. these were surrounding the entire computer, replacing the actual case panels. A plasma ball couldn't even come close to the ammount of energy used by the case he built. I wouldn't worry about it.

Those plasma panels are darn expensive too... Relatively small diameter ones in comparison to one case panel are very pricey.

Back