• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I almost killed my PSU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDizzle

Well my floppy drive decided to stop working so I opened up my side panel and was making sure that the cables were plugged in all the way when my computer just shut off. I was like uh oh...... So I tried to start it back up and it wouldn't start. I was running late for school so I had to go but before I left I unplugged the power cord and when I got home I pressed the power button and it start up just fine. I was so relieved that I didn't ruin anything. Any idea what happend? Why does it work now and not right after? Did i ruin anything? I was playing cs a while ago and it kept crashing after like 20 mins of play.

What are your voltage readings? Are you sure the power cables on your mobo/video card are in all the way? You may have bumped a cable and caused a short (in that case the PSU did it's job and tripped it's internal circuit breaker, causing it to turn itself off for about 30 mins instead of causing the system to start on fire... or worse). Or you could've just bumped a cable causing a bad connection (so some device isn't getting enough power).

You probably just trggered the internal circuit breaker, it resets itself after about 10 - 20 min with the cable left unplugged. It's fine should cause any problems I have done it a couple times but from now on remember to shut off your computer before you go futzing around inside of it.

(in that case the PSU did it's job and tripped it's internal circuit breaker, causing it to turn itself off for about 30 mins instead of causing the system to start on fire... or worse)

Whats worse than your computer catching on fire????? If it does everything will most likely die anyways unless it's really small.

Sony said:
You probably just trggered the internal circuit breaker, it resets itself after about 10 - 20 min with the cable left unplugged. It's fine should cause any problems I have done it a couple times but from now on remember to shut off your computer before you go futzing around inside of it.

Yep I sure learned that.

Back