• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott 2.8E in notebook

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

I just took receipt of my new Dell Inspiron 9100 notebook. It has a 2.8Ghz CPU. In bios it said that the cpu has 1024KB cache- initially I did not pay too much attention to that, but then I found out that this puppy can crunch two seti units in 2:24, which rivals my precott 3.0 system. I then reviewed the Intel specs and indeed there is no 2.8GHz noteboook processor listed - in fact the only processor with 2.8GHz and 1MB RAM is the prescott 2.8E. Well I then downloaded the intel processor spec utility - and lo and behold it identifies the processor as a 2.8E with 1MB cache.

The system is stable and seemingly fast (with 1GB of ram) but it gets loud when crunching and the battery life is only about 1:40. Not sure if want to keep it as it's also big as a tank but I may have a genuine oddball system at my hands here.

Has anyone else here received such a system?

Alright on the dell forums I keep getting feedback that these notebooks were supposed to have shipped with the preshott, but Dell still advertizes them as having PIV northwood chips ((512kb cache) and it looks like even dell did either not get enough of these or took a step back (similar to what they did with the desktops).

Well I sure like the 30 day satifaction guarantee - I am gonna keep checking this thing out....

Back