• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken Internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blammo300

Registered
I had a error that kept popping up in Windows that said Lsass.ese had some problem and had to restart my computer in 50sec. So i looked on google and found this site:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBK/tip5400/rh5456.htm

and it told me to type this in to fix the problem

REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2 /f

REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2 /f

REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\WinSock2 /f

REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\WinSock2 /f

So I did and then after I restarted my computer my internet stopped working. My DSL is a direct connection through a switch, the DSL just usually plugs in and works. So I ran the network connection manager-didnt work, then I ran Norton Utilities 2002 windoctor and it fixed some stuff-didnt work, and then I took the reg items that I entered that caused this problem but I replaced Delete with ADD and they all said "operation completed" but it-didnt work.

So now I am typing this using my older 400mhz computer. MY OS is Windows XP Pro SP1.

Always backup your registry prior to making changes like these. I suspect it is virus related and not a result of corrupted registries as they suggest.

I would try system restore first if you have it enabled, then run some system scans while your ethernet connection is disabled. Also install a good antivirus program, and be sure that your XP internal firwall is enabled before you re-enable your DSL connection.

I exported that key from my registry. I've attached the one from CurrentControlSet because I believe the other ones are just backups. You can try merging that with your registry. You might want to back it up first, though.
To back your registry up, open up the registry editor by going to start>Run and typing regedit. Then click file>export. For "export range" choose "al"l. Then type a name and hit save.
Then to merge my copy of it download the file and run it. Choose yes when it askes if you want to merge it with your registry.
Here it is:
andyman902042.no-ip.com/winsock1.reg You might have to right-click and choose to save it so it doesn't just open up in your browser.

Back