• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blue tint on screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beavis

I've looked around and can't find a definitive answer so I need some opinions. I have 2 monitors, one is an older dell trinitron and the other a practically brand new Dell trinitron. I was using the old one day it had a blue tint to the screen, I leave it on all the time so it was after bringing it out of power save mode. It goes away after turing it off and the computer for a minute and rebooting. I thought it was going bad so I bought another one. I was moving things around and when I reconnected everything the new one did it too. Now I'm starting to think it's not the monitors but something else. Could it be the video card, I've used different vga cables and now 2 different monitors. The warranty on the new monitor will be up very soon, so I want to rule out a defect on it so I feel better, it cost me a lot of money.

Well, I reseated the vga cable on the back of the monitor and everything seems normal. I've reconnected the cable on both ends several times and turning the monitor and computer several times and no more blue tint. I hope the problem is just isolated to the cable and not the monitor, I'd hate for this to happen again down the road, I wouldn't be able to live myself. The monitor has 2 inputs so if one input went bad the other would still be good right?

Beavis said:
Well, I reseated the vga cable on the back of the monitor and everything seems normal. I've reconnected the cable on both ends several times and turning the monitor and computer several times and no more blue tint. I hope the problem is just isolated to the cable and not the monitor, I'd hate for this to happen again down the road, I wouldn't be able to live myself. The monitor has 2 inputs so if one input went bad the other would still be good right?

Should be, yes. Another idea I had would be to make sure there are no other electrical appliances in very close proximity to the monitor, sometimes interference can occur and do some pretty wierd things.

Matt

A Suggestion

I have been an Sony Trintron user for several years.They all (Trinitons)seem to be capable of showing the blue tinted screen anytime the power input is interfeared with.Usually this is a bad connection or interfearence with the power cable.In my experience if the actual mointor has a problem then the power light (green led) would not remain green but would flash blinking green even after power and signal are applied.Remeber I am not a Sony technician (but I have used several units and serviced several others) but I have learned enough to know that anything can happen. As long as my unit gives me a solid green led after appling power and signal I am not worried and look other places(connection,interfearence) for the problem.
Good Luck

Hmm blue huh? Mine goes pink!
Mine is Dell not trinitron but it is sony on the inside.
If its still under warranty you should send it back. It gets to be a pain in the arse when you cant switch off, or use the energy saving function of your monitor for fear that it will stay pink/blue this time.

Does anyone know the life expectency of a screen thats on 24/7/365?

Edit: Duh, it is a trinitron, I had no idear!

Last edited:
yeah portable phones and other tv electronics could cause interfernece withthe signals, but ussually its simply the cable not all the way in,,

Alittle more Info

You are just as correct the blue tint can be a pink tint.However they are both just a sign of signal interfearence and either usually goes back to the same problem. I have used several Trintrons made between 1997 and 2002.They seem to have a resonable life span and it can be extended by proper maitience.
The Sony Warranty is for 3 years so you can be resonably assured they expect the unit to last longer than that.My experience has been at least double that and longer with proper maitience and avoiding power surges ect.....Good Luck

Just for the sake of argument, suppose one my monitors exhibits this problem again, but can't be corrected by reseating cables, can it be repaired or is it trash? I think my older trinitron is at risk of this happening sometime soon. Who do I take it to? Has anyone here repaired this problem before?

CeeDeeJay,

You refered to the power cable being the most likely cause. In my case it was the VGA cable, are you talking about both cables or just the power cable? By the way it's a FD P1130 21" Dell Trinitron.

Can regular PC speakers cause interference, that's the only thing close to the monitor.

Last edited:
Beavis

Both cables that enter mointors are possible sources of problems.I am less concerned about the power cable than the data cable.Are thier any power lines that are bundled with or crossing your data cable.It is possible that the mointors own power cable could cross or interfear with the mointor.Of course any electrical device could cause interfearence. However with mointors usually it is the mointor that interfears with other devices like speakers but it is possible to be the other way..I have seen one situtation that a cordless phone caused interfearnence.
There are adjustments inside a mointor that allow tecnicians to reset the power output of the power unit that is used to control power,brightness,contrast and focus and these can all be reset at higher power output. This is what is used when the tecnicians go in and "refurbish" mointors.By increasing(or decreasing) the power output you are often able to make up for years of use and reset the controls to extend the life of a mointor.However thier are 2 major drawbacks.One is a coil that holds massive amounts of potiental electrical power even when the mointor is totally disconnected this can cause explosions or elecectrical deaths.The other is some units are not able to accept these changes and will sometimes fail. Many mointor suppliers.selling points or warrenity centers have people qualified to do this work safely.Even many good television repair shops and tecnicians are able to do this.We have done this to many units and the Trinitons are very good about accepting these adjustments and prolonging thier lifespan.This type of repair is not difficult but is very dangerous and has to be done by qualified people.You cannot affort to risk you life for any mointor.If I had this problem return and I couldnt find any other cause I would attempt to find a tecnician to accomplish these adjustments or if they want to much money just consider I got my moneys worth and buy another with a good warrenity.

Back