• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

100% Antifreeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EPirate

I got some antifreeze from the store the other day. It said it was prediulted so i just threw it in the WC. Temps went up so i drained it out and did about 10% antifreeze and 90% water. My temps rose about 1-2 degrees since i switched from 100% water shoudl i just not use antifreeze?

Youre supposed to use the anti freeze just to kill the bacteria in the loop and prevent corrosion if you have alum in your loop.

100% antifreeze is crazy.

It said it was premixed, so it was about 50/50 antifreeze and water... That is still too much antifreeze but not as bad as straight antifreeze.

If you aren't mixing metals you can go without antifreeze if you want, but I would want it to keep things from growing... With that small of a temp difference it is very hard to tell if room temp changes slightly.

Antifreeze does not help heat transfer at all. Water has been tested to be better.

well, if u don't have a problem with corrosion, i would use 100% water and some kind of antibacteria stuff. if u have a mix of alum. copper in ur system, then u've gotta use antifreeze or waterwetter.

yea i got a crapo aluminum block. I bought some artic silver 5 and put it on with that too and it seems it hasn't changed my temp any so im guessing either my room is alot hotter or its a bad batch of it.

There is no such thing as a bad batch of Arctic silver. ;) Nevin wouldn't have it.

I haven't heard of anyone having the same temps before and after AS without any variation during settling or anything. Sounds fishy. :eh?:

yea im not sure, i hope its just the weather. Mother doesn't believe in turning on the AC untill a certain date WTF is that she says it too early. AC is used for when it gots hot? Am i not right? hehe

Well water wetter has anti-corrosiveproperties so why not run 99% water and some WW?

this stuff said it had anti corrosive crap in it too good for many diffrent metals. Atleast it what it said on the bottle and that its a lube too =D

Straight distilled H20 will give you the best heat transfer. Antifreeze, does what it is supposed to do, lower the freezing point of water so you don't ruin your engine in the winter. It also helps in preventing corrosion. So use as little AF as you can to prevent corrosion on your block and HC.

that difference u got is not entirely because u added anti-freeze, it could be cuz ur as has to reset, it could also cuz of mounting issues... keep the af its good for ur system...

Back