• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your storage setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How do your have your operating system drive(s) set up for speed?

• Single 2MB Cache Parallel Drive

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Single 8MB Cache Parallel Drive

Votes: 56 27.2%
  • Single 36GB Raptor

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Single 74GB Raptor

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • RAID With Parallel Drives

Votes: 29 14.1%
  • RAID With 36GB Raptors

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • RAID With 74GB Raptors

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Two 2MB PATA On The Same IDE Channel

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Two 8MB PATA On The Same IDE Channel

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Two PATA Drives With Unlike Cache On The Same IDE Channel

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
hafa said:
BAH! SCSI discrimination!

U320 SCSI, 15,000 rpm. Can't beat it.

Am I isolated or elitist? I just can't decide...

Hear that, but my Ultra 320 is only spinning at 10K
Your poll is missing the other half of the storage world ;) SCSI

I'm with Cowboy X here :)

1 WD800JB serving ALL my hard drive storage needs
....though I could stand an upgrade since it's getting full..... ;)

JigPu

A 74GB Raptor with the OS on it, and an 800JB for backup/storage/pagefile purposes.

I like.

johan851 said:
A 74GB Raptor with the OS on it, and an 800JB for backup/storage/pagefile purposes.

I like.

Very similar setup to mine. Fast as hell, isn't it? :D

Yep, it's a very very noticable change. I suggest anyone that can, set up your system like this if you don't want to (or can't) RAID, because the Raptor74 paired up with any 8MB cache drive for storage makes everything go faster.

Installing games from my 120JB to my Raptor takes on average exactly 60 seconds per disc. Morrowind, which has to load a lot of stuff periodically, takes only about 2-3 seconds to load the new area; this used to take about 10-15 seconds before.

It really is a noticable difference, I love it :D

I would say it is within margin of error of a huge processor/ram upgrade.

I went from a PIII 450 and 256 megs to a XP3200 and 1GB ram and I was shocked.

I feel the same way about the Raptor, after the Raptor I would say the hard drive is the most neglected performance piece of hardware in the machine. Save the PSU money and buy a Raptor. :)

PSU is my next upgrade, if I don't manage another stick of BH5 :) I can almost guarantee that my PSU is holding back my o/c quite a bit. :-/

Single Seagate 7200.7 40GB PATA. It's silent, but I sooooo want the speed that only more rpms can give me on a Raptor 74GB. Someday....

I'm runnin' 2 74gig Raptors in raid o on a 16k stripe with a 120gig WD 8mb cache backup. I love it! Its the best HD setup I've ever owned.

Here is a sample.

Attachments

• raptor test.jpg
    raptor test.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 257
I was using a single 40GB 7200 RPM drive as my main OS and program drive and also had (2) 60GB IBM 7200RPM drive setup in RAID 0 for video capture, but I had to sell the 40GB. At some point I will get newer drives for my system and set RAID back up.

I went from a Maxtor 80gig to paired 36gig raptors raid 0 :attn: and wow was that cool! Game levels loaded in a hurry and it cut alot of time off OS install. I stuck a 200gig 7200rpm Maxtor in as a storage drive and called myself happy. :beer:
I would like to know if anyone has gone from the 36gig raptors to the 74 gig one's in a raid 0, did you notice a difference? I am working on another project and was wondering if its worth the extra money for the 74's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back