• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killerkid

Hey all. I recently bought a seagate 80gig 7200rpm 8mb cache baracudda hdd from best buy for 99.99 and then they had a 50.00 mir with it!! i thought it was a great deal so i got one. Well, they are now running the sale again, so i was thinking about buying another one, only for raid.

Question: 2 80gig 7200rpms hdd's worth raiding?
Question: Will i notice a big performance gain from 1 alone to 2 in raid

i dont know much about raid, but i have heard of many different like numbers for raid, raid 0, raid 1, raid 2, raid 3 and so on. Which raid do i use?

what will i see performance in specifically? boot times????

RAID 0 - Performance (at lease 2 hard drives)
RAID 1 - Security (at least 2 hard drives)
RAID 0+1 - Security and performance :D (need at least 4 hard drives)
RAID 5 - Performance and fault tolerance (need at least 3 hard drives)
All the other RAID types the typical user wouldn't really use but HERE is a link describing all RAID types and their applications, pros and cons.

With RAID 0 you will see decreased boot times, quicker overall system response times, higher performance in video editing programs and other hard drive intensive apps. And also bragging rights of course :D

Back