• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Outlook Express Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funzie

Well the other day I had a virus on my PC, so after installing Norton AV 2004 trial, as well as The Cleaner(or something like that), I removed it. Now today I found my copy of Norton Systemworks 2003, plus I went ahead and installed Ad-aware and Spybot S&D. Now Outlook Express doesn't want to display the contents of my emails, it displays the list but nothing in the contents area, not even when I click on reply. I really don't want to waste my night reinstalling windows when the playoffs are on. BTW, I uninstalled all of the installed AVs and spyware removal tools, but still no luck. Also when I pass the mouse over the message contents window I just get the arrow with the hourglass next to it.

Check the permissions of files located at "C:\Documents and Settings\{your username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{weird numbers like 70EFCB35-6C49-4F5D-B42F-ECDB1A51F924}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\" (note that the folder is hidden). Maybe somehow you've disabled access rights for those *.dbx files, and Outlook can't read from them.

Outlook Express! oh no that's your first problem you shouldn't even use it! Many viruses are written just to work on OE
What else to use
millions other choices
Netscape or Mozilla messanger, Eudora, squirrel webmail, PINE or even the classic mail and there is another one called Mail anything but OE
at my old school, the IT notified all faculty and staff "Don't use OE, if you use it your are on your own!"

If you are still having a problem let me know. there was a program that I posed a link to in another OE thread that will let you read/save e-mails right from the .dbx files. Or do a quick search its in here somewhere. If not I'll find it later and post it again

funzie said:
Well the other day I had a virus on my PC, so after installing Norton AV 2004 trial, as well as The Cleaner(or something like that), I removed it. Now today I found my copy of Norton Systemworks 2003, plus I went ahead and installed Ad-aware and Spybot S&D. Now Outlook Express doesn't want to display the contents of my emails, it displays the list but nothing in the contents area, not even when I click on reply. I really don't want to waste my night reinstalling windows when the playoffs are on. BTW, I uninstalled all of the installed AVs and spyware removal tools, but still no luck. Also when I pass the mouse over the message contents window I just get the arrow with the hourglass next to it.

nortons isn't going to fix/stop an exploit of OE, you need to do a windows update to patch your OE. And as others have mentioned OE is very vunerable to trojans, viri etc. Change your mail client to something else, there are plenty out there that aren't targeted for exploites.

I did not use norton to fix OE, I used it to remove the virus. I tried reinstalling and patching IE/OE, but thanks to microsoft that was quite impossible. Everytime I tried reinstalling IE I would get the "The software you are installing has not passed the windows logo testing..." Which is preposterous since its a microsoft product, I tried fixing it using their help info http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828031, so I just reinstalled everything.

here we go in add/remove software in the windows section uninstall IE then delete the folder of IE and try to reinstall
Have fun!

Back