• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA Drive undetectable in Norton Ghost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darkbox

Hi all...

I have this 160GB 7K250 on one of the 4 ports controlled by the onboard Silicon Image SATA Controller. Windows is able to detect it without any problem whatsoever. In fact, I have already formatted it and transfered some of my data onto this drive already. However..Windows list this 7K250 as a dynamic drive. What does that mean and what are the implications? My C: and D: partitions on my RAID'ed 74GB Raptors are listed as "Primary" and "Logical" respectively. Only my SATA 7K250 is listed as "Dynamic".

I used to have an 80GB PATA drive and Ghost had no problem detecting it at all. I regularly make backup images of my C: and store it in X: but I cannot do that anymore since Ghost cannot detect the drive where I want the backup images to be stored. Windows used to list my 80GB PATA drive as "Logical". Could this be the reason why this drive is not detected by Norton Ghost? Is there a way I can change it into a "Logical" drive instead of "Dynamic"? Anyway...I have included a screen shot of what I am trying to convey. Hope someone understands and knows how to solve this problem. :)

DiskManagement.gif

I have done that myself.We answered the question wrong that popped up.I had to use fdisk to delete the partition and create another one,then go to windows and format again.I don't know if it being dynamic would keep Ghost from seeing the drive,but it might.I did not go any farther than realizing that it was dynamic and changing it.Ghost does see my silicon Image raid array as well as my Acard array and IDE Ghost drive.I would try changing to a standard disk.

Thanks dude...I did just that (changing to Basic Disk) but Ghost still cannot detect my SATA harddrive on the SI chip. I am thinking that this might be due to the fact that the harddrive on the SI is not initialised during POST. I guess theres nothing much I can do about that... :(

If there are DOS drivers as well as the windows drivers you might add them to the Ghost disc and edit the .sys file adding the lines that load the drivers.I did this to try and speed up my Ghosting times.While it did load the drivers it actually made the copy time longer than before I added them.

Back