• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there such thing as too stron of a pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trdsw20

I cant seem to find any Mag3 pumps locally and the only ones I do find can pump 500 gph is that too much . Or will that help my cooling. Im using a WW

There's such a thing as too hot of a pump. For most people's setups, that's anything above about 40-50W of rated power draw.

"too strong" is pretty hard to achieve for most pumps that people can afford. A pump that supplies more than about 30PSI can be dangerous to most people's radiators, depending on how their loop is sequenced. A pump that supplies more than about 100PSI (with flow capacity to match) is just plain dangerous, period. Fortunately you don't need to worry too much about "accidentally" picking up a pump anywhere near as strong as that, as the large $$ amounts for such pumps tends to scare most people away long before they lose reason and buy one.

UK Ebay Item

A "Charles Austen Pumps Ltd" P16C. The inlet & outlet take 1/2" ID Tubing. The pump is rated at maximum of 3000 l/hour with maximum head height at 14 metres. Unit is standard 240V mains and has a potentiometer at the front that goes from zero to full power. Inside the main unit is about the same size as my Hydor L30 II pump, it could be mounted inside a case. Item has never actually been used, parcel delivery will be £6.

14m of head :eek:

yumpin yiminny sounds like more pump than I could ever find a use for lol probably could make a electric meter spin pretty fast too ;)

Manufacturer

Three sizes of centrifugal pumps are available for the transfer of liquids in laboratory experiments even when solid particles are present. Suitable for continuous duty these pumps offer solid construction with exceptional performance for their size.

All units are supplied housed in a splash proof metal case with carry handle and plug in mains lead with the P16C version incorporating a variable speed control for precision pumping. Applications include circulation and cooling especially with distilled water and dilute acids. These pumps are also available with Viton seals for added chemical resistance.

if the pump is 'too strong', so if the speed of the water out of the pump is very high it can lead to something called 'cavitation' which will result in a lot of bubbles in the water.

This happens mostly when the water streams around edges. So this might happen what type of connectors you use or the type of waterblocks.

kepten said:
if the pump is 'too strong', so if the speed of the water out of the pump is very high it can lead to something called 'cavitation' which will result in a lot of bubbles in the water.

This happens mostly when the water streams around edges. So this might happen what type of connectors you use or the type of waterblocks.

Yes and no. Cavitation usually occurs when there is insufficent net positive suction head on the pump intake. When a centrifugal pump impellar turns, it decreases the pressure on the suction side of the pump. As pressure decreases, the boiling point of a fluid also decreases. Cavitation is usually caused by the pressure in the suction line dropping so that the fluid boils at room temperature. To prevent pump cavitation, increase the pressure on the suction side of the pump, decrease the temperature of the cooling loop or get a smaller pump. Large pressure drops in the line (mostly closed valves or kinked tubing) can also cause cavitation.

MikeTimbers said:

I may have just outbid you ;)

well i reversed that situation, saw off another bidder ..... then some guy came in out of the blue and outbid me with 12 seconds to go :rolleyes: :mad:

so i guess i'll just have to make do with my iwakis for a bit longer.....

Back