• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got back from E3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cruc1fy

So I took the day off of work and went down to LA for E3. I was hoping to see a computer version of DOOM3, but all they had was the XBox version. It was pretty cool, but nothing compared to the UnrealEngine3.

At nVidia's booth they had a ten minute presentation of the U3 engine. It's the most amazingly graphical thing I've ever seen. The walls can have textured, 3-D materials, so bricks look like actual bricks with grout and everything.

Just thought I'd share that.

Saw HalfLife2 also, but it was nothing great.

cruc1fy said:
So I took the day off of work and went down to LA for E3. I was hoping to see a computer version of DOOM3, but all they had was the XBox version. It was pretty cool, but nothing compared to the UnrealEngine3.

At nVidia's booth they had a ten minute presentation of the U3 engine. It's the most amazingly graphical thing I've ever seen. The walls can have textured, 3-D materials, so bricks look like actual bricks with grout and everything.

Just thought I'd share that.

Saw HalfLife2 also, but it was nothing great.

Give us some more to digest :D

/me wants more

Right on! So give us more info dood!

What made HL2 look just "meh..." to you??? Did they have it playable there??? If so, did you get a chance to play it???

Any other games that looked completely amazing??? I saw some screenies of a new game called F.E.A.R. that's due out next year that looks really pretty. Sort of an in-between in gfx quality btwn the U3 engine and HL2.

Come on man, more details please! :D

No I didn't get to play H-L2. The line was too long, but I caught a glimpse of it.

Maybe it was "meh" because I had just watched the UE3 tech demo. It (H-L2) was still amazing quality wise.

I didn't see F.E.A.R., but there was a video (don't think a playable version) of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which we all know is pretty solid from a gfx standpoint, as was FarCry.

what else...

The new Zelda game looks pretty awesome, as does Metroid Prime 2.

And Jenny McCarthy was a spokesman (woman, I guess) for XBox... she was looking good.

I guess I'll talk more about the UE3 demo. Naturally it has a fully interactive physics engine... everything on the screen can be manipulated in one way or another. There was a refrigerator that could be opened, contrained drawers within and individual items in those. The soft-shadow lighting and PS3 stuff looks amazing. They showed a 200Million (I think) polygon monster in front of a revolving stained glass light source. It did it perfectly... the monster was moving around, and he was illuminated by the colors the correct way. It was nuts.

Sega said they would have a big surprise at E3... rumors had it they were getting back into the console business... any info on thir big surprise?

Shishio said:
Sega said they would have a big surprise at E3... rumors had it they were getting back into the console business... any info on thir big surprise?

There were a couple of new consoles aimed at niche markets, but nothing by sega that I saw. then again, I didn't go in all the rooms of the convention. I was afraid the people checking passes at the door may notice my pass was printed on a plain old sheet of paper instead of a credit card sized hunk of plastic.

I wasn't able to play hl2 either. Didn't want to sit in lines for so long. I, sadly, completely missed the doom3 setup over by xbox. Apparently I was right next to it for a good 20 mins playing mortal kombat:( .

The title I was happy to try out was Tribes:Vengence because I'm a tribes fanatic. They were running a lan game over at the ATI booth. I was somewhat disappointed as they were running it on laptops that could barely get 20 fps and skiing seems to be too overpowered now. You can ski down a 5 yard bunny slope and subsequently fly across the map.

Oni said:
What about the Nintendo DS? Any info on that?

I have read all the previews on it, and I'm pretty impressed. Its not as powerfull as sony's PSP, but I think game play wise it looks pretty good. Playing a first person shooter with a stylus should be intresting.

So was there any displays of Full Spectum Warrior? It comes out in less then a month and I was hoping they would have some playable versions up and running.

How about "Vampire Masquarade" (is that how you spell it)? That game looks awesome from what I have been reading about it in PC Gamer mag.

Krusty said:

OMG! I'm an idiot! All those uber long lines for uber cool things were things I avoided because I didn't want to have to sit in line. I had a MEDIA PASS! I could've got special treatment and skipped right over those lines.

Yep, all 200 yards of the line :D.

Shishio said:

No Seaga is not getting back into the Console market, It would bankrupt them and they already made a statement here in Japan to that effect.

The new Sony is more of a multimedia device like the Nokia G-Con and in a recent press interview SOny said they where hopeful to beat Nintendo's DS but they douted very much if they could make an impact in a market 98% dominated by the GameBoy.

[rant] the nintendo ds seems like a bad idea to me... I guess it could be cool, but it just seems waaaaaay too gimmicky. A friend of mine who is a nintendo fanboy was trying to convince me of its superiority to the sony psp... he started his argument by saying "the psp uses... like... optical media and the ds is going to use... like... proprietary cartridges" what's wrong with optical storage??? Anyway this could just be me, but I see a major flop in the works....[/rant] btw... does it look like it was built in 1985 or is that just my imagination???

lol yes it does look like it was built in 1985.... so did the GB Advance! But regardless of looks or gimicks it has to be said that the Gameboy has outlasted ALL of it's rivals from the very first handheld battles and funnily enough they all had higher specs than the GB's.

FarEast said:
lol yes it does look like it was built in 1985.... so did the GB Advance! But regardless of looks or gimicks it has to be said that the Gameboy has outlasted ALL of it's rivals from the very first handheld battles and funnily enough they all had higher specs than the GB's.

The game gear was dope... I don't know what Nintendo's fear of cds is/was. I bet if they had made the N64 a cdrom system they would never have lost so much ground to sony.

Shishio said:

The game gear was dope... I don't know what Nintendo's fear of cds is/was. I bet if they had made the N64 a cdrom system they would never have lost so much ground to sony.

sega also had a portable game system that came out after game gear. It played Genesis game cartridges. Funny thing about the game boy advanced is that it somehow seems to have a LOT of games that are unusually similar to the old super nintendo games.

Kinda strange how sega had a portable system that played game gear games like 8-10 years before nintendo had a portable game system that played super nintendo games, yet nobody heard of the sega one.

Back