• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got back from E3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shishio said:
The game gear was dope... I don't know what Nintendo's fear of cds is/was. I bet if they had made the N64 a cdrom system they would never have lost so much ground to sony.

Nintendo did have a plan to release an add-on system to the N64, called the N64 Disk Drive. It never left the initial planning stages, however.

Nintendo doesn't really have a phobia of optical media (look at the Gamecube), but they did for a long time. I think they've finally realized that optical = good, even if it is on mini-DVDs.

As for optical on the mobile platform, it's not really good. Optical drives have moving parts, and consume much more battery life than cartridge-based systems.

Krusty: I've heard of what you're talking about. I've only ever seen one of it's kind, however. It's very rare, and fetches a high price at auction.

Krusty said:

sega also had a portable game system that came out after game gear. It played Genesis game cartridges. Funny thing about the game boy advanced is that it somehow seems to have a LOT of games that are unusually similar to the old super nintendo games.

Kinda strange how sega had a portable system that played game gear games like 8-10 years before nintendo had a portable game system that played super nintendo games, yet nobody heard of the sega one.

Those were called the Nomad. I used to have one, and a Game Gear. They were crap. Heavy ghosting in many games, especially fast ones like Sonic. Not worth the plastic they're made out of, IMO.
Now if the screens had been much better, then maybe I wouldn't think so lowly of them :D

Since it hasnt yet been posted in this thread, Sega's big announcment was that they were coproducing the Matrix Online game.

Oni said:

Nintendo did have a plan to release an add-on system to the N64, called the N64 Disk Drive. It never left the initial planning stages, however.

Nintendo doesn't really have a phobia of optical media (look at the Gamecube), but they did for a long time. I think they've finally realized that optical = good, even if it is on mini-DVDs.

As for optical on the mobile platform, it's not really good. Optical drives have moving parts, and consume much more battery life than cartridge-based systems.

Yeah I remember the 64dd... they were going to release a zelda game for it... I don't know if that turned out to be majora's mask. But even now the gamecube has only mini-dvds. Why can't they just go with full fledged dvds?

I actually do notice that the gamecube loads much faster than my ps2, but you know what I don't really care that my ps2 loads slower than the gamecube. I still play it just as much.

cruc1fy said:
And Jenny McCarthy was a spokesman (woman, I guess) for XBox... she was looking good.

Damn I knew I should have gone!

I also agree the Nintendo DS seems a little to gimmicy and its making another HUGE mistake and I bet Sony couldn't be more happy.

I don't feel that the game media was the fault of the N64, but the total number of games it offered. If the media affected anything it was the price of the games. CD's are a lot less costly then cartriges, so to that effect it was Nintendo's mistake.

Tatuya said:
OMG, are they retarded or something, like anyone gives a #%# about another MMORPG.

Touchy subject for ya?

Back