• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware annouces Dual CPU, Dual PCI-X system: ALX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol, after I searched vigororously for a thread already containing this topic, I happened apon PIII's post in this same area, hope you don't mind that I brought it up. I think it really desereves some thought.

Looks like the design is similar to the SLI incorperated by 3dfx back in the day, but different. Read the article for more info.

I like that idea. I have been pondering on it myself for along time now. I wonder if they would start selling the setup so I could put the dual cards into an existing setup with PCI-X...

I wonder what kind of "quiet" pump they're going to use if they have 2 GPUs and 2 CPUs being water cooled.

Good point, but as long as they use a low flow loss radiator, and a sufficiently sized one at that, they should be able to use a marginally smaller pump. Acknoledged, that is a /lot/ of heat.

A computer like that and the service that comes with it... I don't even want to think about the price tag on that one..

4k+ is my entierly uneducated guess. probably somewhere closer to 5. But they're really paying for the service. and the chromed keyboard.

Since it's Alienware, and their top-end systems already cost $5000+ (bleeding edge + Alienware name), I would say that it will easily cost $7000, if not more.

With Alienware, you're paying for a name and support. I don't want a name associated with my computer, and I don't need some moron on the end of a phone line talking to me in belittling tones. Thus I instantly save $4000 or so on their current systems.

But I'm not here to bash Alienware :D
Basically, anything Alienware can get ahold of, we can get ahold of; we'll have access to these motherboards before or very soon after Alienware does. And after reading some about dual-video cards, I can't wait :D

Really though, do we need duallies? Duaal procs is overkill is most situations. The new X800 and 6800 AGP cards seem overkill (and i am getting one this summer) enough.

Couple BIG questions:

Heat?
Cost?
Heat?
Need?
Heat?

JoT said:

Basically, anything Alienware can get ahold of, we can get ahold of; we'll have access to these motherboards before or very soon after Alienware does. And after reading some about dual-video cards, I can't wait :D

Quoted from above linked article:

Alienware currently has no plans to license its technology to third-party manufacturers, and the X2 motherboard will not be available for purchase as a single component. The only way to get your hands on an X2 system will be to purchase a fully loaded X2 Alienware ALX PC.

Doesn't look good for a diyer to get a hold of a board like this. In my mind, it's complete and utter overkill. It would be nice to see some custom machines designed by members here around that platform, though.

Ken

penquissciguy said:

Doesn't look good for a diyer to get a hold of a board like this. In my mind, it's complete and utter overkill. It would be nice to see some custom machines designed by members here around that platform, though.

Ken

Just because Alienware isn't giving out their technology doesn't mean someone else can't come up with their own similar version.

Do you think it would be in the best interest of a company to design a motherboard to market to the public that requires two of the most expensive video accelerators on the market to make it worth buying? Alienware took 3 years to do it, and we haven't heard a peep from anyone else concerning such a design. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ken

http://overclockers.com/articles1023/
Please refer to this article regarding dual video card goodness. I plan on doing it when I change to A64, after all, new games will always come out that require more power (Far Cry is pushing my awesome system to its limits :()

Radical said:
I wonder what kind of "quiet" pump they're going to use if they have 2 GPUs and 2 CPUs being water cooled.

well, my eheim is dead silent, and im sure its moving enough water for a single CPU / single video card (im only cooling my CPU though). A larger version of my pump could probably move enough water, and i dont think it would be any louder.

We need to take out alienware before they become too powerful, what if they dont liscense, everyoen would have to buy their pcs to get the best, and they can charge wahtever they want......We need to beat them now!!!BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT.....!!!
A humble enemy of alienware's price, looks, and also a (sorta) competing custom computer builder!! Take em out, help me, and help urselves!! This is just my $.000000002......
:rolleyes:

Back