• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good is a Radeon 9200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
delorean700 said:
Well actually, I did buy all the parts from the internet. From newegg.com. I used my own money, which I saved for years. this thing only cost me $450 to build, thats including everything. But why do 9200s suck? Give me a more reasonable answer instead of "They really suck". At the time, 9600s and 9800s were wayyy out of my reach.

Suck is the wrong word. 9200s are just simply not as fast as a lot of cards out there. Now, a 4MB PCI card would suck :D

As stated a zillion times here (warning: possible slight exaggeration) if it does what you want it to, then it doesnt suck. Heck, I still run a 64MB AGP4x DX8 Ti4200 in my main rig... :eek: ... but it works fine for me.

EDIT: The reason there arent many threads about 9200s here is because they aren't generally bought if people are into heavy intensive gaming. Most people here who are overclocking cards and so on are looking for as much performance as possible.

Last edited:
Well, by looking at those frame rates, I can see that p4 had a slower frame rate on the 9200. I have an AMD 2800+. I don't play games such as halo, unreal tournament 2003, etc.... I like to play nfsu, medal of honor, flight simulator, vice city, etc.... And my settings are usually 800x600

delorean700 said:
Well, by looking at those frame rates, I can see that p4 had a slower frame rate on the 9200. I have an AMD 2800+. I don't play games such as halo, unreal tournament 2003, etc.... I like to play nfsu, medal of honor, flight simulator, vice city, etc.... And my settings are usually 800x600

those were diff benchmarks with diff results.
they are not comparable.

nevertheless the 9200 is at the bottom end of things

Just to give you an idea of performance, Tom's got ~7k '01 3dmarks with the 9200. I hit 12k on my OC'd AIW 8500DV. The AIW 8500DV is a pretty slow card too...

I have a sapphire radeon 9200 128bit 128mb just like yourself. Only reason i have this thing because i dont want to spend $500 on a video card, even though it doesnt allow me to play newest games with the eye candy enabled. I was happy with it like yourself last year when i bought it, but now with games like farcry i have to settle for putting all settings the lowest possible and it just completely ruins the game expierence.

overclocking: They dont overclock all that well since most ati card makers just put one heatsink with no fan, since they run cool as it is.

Mine has both heatsink and fan. They are both stock. It came with a program called V-Tuner, I don't use any of the overclocking tools that come with it, but I can control fan speeds with it.

Wow some of these answers and attitudes are a little harsh to say the least, not to mention a little incorrect imho... The origional question was how good is the Radeon 9200 and it seems strange that nobody has yet asked at what ?

Nvidia along with ATI are the major producers of graphical chipsets, this does not however mean that the card in question is being used for a gaming purpose. Before stating that any card sucks or is worse than another I would suggest that the what the user requires from them is taken into consideration.... I for example can not tell the difference in performance between my Gainward Geforce 3 Ti 500 Golden sample and my Sapphire ATI Card due to the fact that I do not play games and I prefer to use Linux... What difference does DX9 capabilty or performance have to me ?
In fact I personally prefer Matrox cards as I personally believe that they produce a better desktop image and crisper fonts.

A little more thought or consideration in this thread would be nice, not to mention people backing statements up with information rather than remarks which serve no purpose

From my new and very humble opinion...I bought an ATI 9200 from Newegg
card

This was just to get me by about a month and a half
Install was easy and overclock was easy and decent for my newbie effort
futuremark
futuremark

I don't play as much as some but Call of Duty looks good, Sacred looks good, Mech Mercs is great.

I downloaded both Farcry demo's and played through them on the auto detect settings, pretty much all low and 1024x768x32. I really did not think they would play at all but the framerates were decent. Highs in the 90fps's dipping to the mid 50's. Very playable but with almost no special stuff :( Start turning stuff up and framerates fall pretty quick.

I actually thought about picking up a 9200 to let my girlfriend's brother play Halo and BF:V on my secondary rig.

512MB Ram, NF7, DLT3C 1700+, and ... a Leadtek TNT2 Ultra 32MB video card right now.

So if you want to talk about sucky video cards (and I just upgraded from that card to a 9800Pro in my main rig a month ago), I can tell you all about them. I made a jump similar to yours (hadn't upgraded for 5 years), and when you're being thrifty, "way better than before" is definitely worth the price of "the most awesome ever" in terms of how it compares to what you're used to.

Back