• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good is a Radeon 9200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delorean700

Ive read threads on here, and not very many of them are about the 9200. I have a GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "GV-R92128DH"
which seems pretty good to me, but not many people buy it. Is it good, or does it really suck?

whatever man, if you didnt wanna hear the truth about your card why did you even ask ?

i knew by not even looking at your profile about how old oyu were, just simply by your reply.... live with it, your card sucks, deal with it.

Yeah, the 9200 & 9000 suck. They're crippled DX9 compatible versions of the 8500 if I recall. The only thing worse is the SE's or sh*tty editions.

BTW, we're not jealous, especially witha 9800pro... I have an AIW 8500DV and an AIW 9800 Pro. All I can say is that the 9800 kicks my 8500's ***. It's faster then what I ever expected it to be stock. Soon it'll be even faster when I get my Peltier setup on it...

Its good enough if all you want it for is generally GUI accelleration, video playback accelleration or light gaming. they nutered it for dx9, but it can still play the games. albiete at a lower detail level.

An 8500 would be a better card, but they are difficult to find. I have one on my desk here that needs to be repaired, but trying to find one in the classifieds is horrible. people want like.. over $100 for one and its just not worth it when a 9200 pro or somthing similar is cheaper than that.

I think you might have been better to save up and get a 9600 series, but in reality, if the card makes you happy, then who cares if somone else thinks it sucks. You have what you need/wanted and high end computer parts are a waste of money :p

Agent_Mull said:
Yeah dude. If you didnt want to know how bad your card is, don't ask. And stop giving us 15yr olds bad raps.

Yeah, the 9200 is honestly a fine card IF IT DOES WHAT YOU WANT. But in comparison to other cards of it's price range you could of done better...

BTW, I keep forgetting I'm 15 now, lol. B-day was 12 days ago.

Wow...you guys could be a little easier on him. You don't have to tear him down...shoot, it's a video card! *shakes head* I'm a little surprised. A defensive answer wasn't the best one, but if I was in his shoes I'd likely do the same.

Sure, it's not a very good card, and better choices could have been made. I'm pretty good at this computer stuff by now, but you know what I built when I wanted a sweet computer? A K6-2 533mhz. This is during the cheap Duron 1GHz days. We all start somewhere.

Now matter how old he is, I can't blame him for being defensive. His VIDEO CARD (stay in perspective) might not be top notch, but offer some constructive advice. You can always upgrade, you can always sell the card in the classifieds, and heck, you might still be able to return the thing.

Valk - thanks for being decent.

Delorean - Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry your welcome wasn't better. Learning about hardware takes a while, and you've got a fair ways to go. It's not like any of us weren't in your shoes. :) The first step is hanging out in a positive forum, like this one almost invariably is.

Last edited:
I started out with a 9200. I will honestly tell u it IS a poor performer save a couple of bucks and upgrade you will definitely see a improvement with a 9500 or 9600 for a few dollers more than what u probably paid for the 9200 sell it and upgrade!

haha i was just kidding about the age thing guys ;), but i could tell he was "younger" :)anyway who cares:) i may have been a bit hard with my answer/post :) sorry.

Well, actually im only a new "member" to the forums. Before I registered it would always say "Sorry but that e-mail address is not aloud" or something. About the 9200, (trying not to be defensive) what made me mad was that some people assume that I want the card for "Hardcore Gaming", sure I play games, but I'm not a hardcore gamer. The 9200 is actually wayyyy better than I thought it would be, but thats coming from a guy who had a 345mhz, 4mb integrated video memory. But I did make some good decisions on my first build, maybe I didnt put all of my money into the video card, but I did buy 512mb PC3200 RAM, and I love this 2500+ Barton, once again this is still coming from a guy who used old-school machines for years. Next time I will buy a better card. I just dislike the fact that I always wake up in a cold sweat to find that my hardware is out-dated :p. The 9200 was good back in its day I guess.

Well in that context the 9200 must be feel like an Enzo (0-60 in 3.6 secs if I recall correctly) to you!

BTW, I still use an OC'd Cyrix MK-II @ 300mhz w/ 4mb ATI RageIIc integrated graphics. It's actually an old emachines. It still works fine, and even runs well with XP PRO installed :eek: I don't even think 3dmark would run on that thing...

God, now I feel old, my first computer was a Comadore 6400 ( I forgot how to spell it, must be age catching up to me, LOL). I did have alot of fun on it though.

I had Win XP on my old 345, it ran ok but not the best. I tried to oc my 9200, but the screen was choppy and broken up like a checkerboard, so i had to set it back to default.

My first computer was a 1993 Packard Bell, 66mhz, 1mb video memory. Thats not too long ago, but im still fairly young at 15yrs old. But that was still 10 1/2 years ago, i was about 4-5yrs old when i had it. I was very young then, but i would always play my fav game "Microsoft Space Simulator"

8500?
Nah,If hes gonna upgrade,which I dont think he is because he's content with what he has,he should at least go with the 9600 series.

The problem with the low end stuff, is that you really have to realize, the developers arent going to do you any favours if your looking to buy their low end stuff. in many cases, they are simply stock that didnt conform to the standards placed on the mid to high end components.
why would you engineer three or four chips? it costs money to do that, when all you have to do is say, oh, this one wont run at this speed, or with these specs, squish, sell it as this or that.
the company still makes money, even if they are selling defective parts ^^;;

I dont know, If i had the money in my hands and a way to order online, i would buy a 8500LE. I have had like 3 8500LE cards and they are fantastic cards. the only thing that will ourperform them in their class is the ti 4600 *at stock* Ti 4200 cards can, but generally, have to be overclocked to win by any great margin.
Thats another topic that i think really needs to be mentioned.. its all well and good to quote this pricewatch site for prices and stuff. however, i want to state, from my own experience that its not always possible to order stuff online.
Not all parents are willing to buy stuff online for their "15 year old kids"

but, even with that said, I can say i wouldnt mind a 9200 now. Compared to my geforce 2 onboard, it would be godly, and it woulndt suck my main memory down. but, money doesnt just grow randomly.

Getting your start in computer hardware is time consuming. it really takes patience and a lot of reading to pick it all up. first thing you will want to do is disregard all the passionate opinions. the only thing that matters is the facts.

Well actually, I did buy all the parts from the internet. From newegg.com. I used my own money, which I saved for years. this thing only cost me $450 to build, thats including everything. But why do 9200s suck? Give me a more reasonable answer instead of "They really suck". At the time, 9600s and 9800s were wayyy out of my reach.

Back