• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my PC is acting weird [?]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Souzou

Hi all...
I've got a problem since ages but now that Summer is coming here i took more care of it...

Well yesterday i had an AthlonXP1800+ with GreenCooler(4800rpm) and i had 75°C @ IDLE and i really thought it was my motherboaerd or something but well.. as my computer was a bit old i bought Athlon XP (Barton) 2600+ Asus A7N8X-X + Thermlatake Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition....

i was happy cuz i thought iwont have more temperature problems but .... after instlaling those things i got:

70°C @ Bios
45°C @ AIDA32 (CPU)
82°C @ CPU Diode

wtf means DIODE? and i think i shoudl take care of it, but HOW ??
cuz its unbelivable for me buying a new procesor, motherboard & volcano and having that huge temperature..

help me if you can, im really worried

thanks in advance

p.s: maybe this helps? http://clanih.free.fr/temp.jpg

Last edited:
For now i would go into the bios and Underblock the Cpu, to about 1100mhz and lower the vcore even more.

Resset youre Heatsink, did u put AS5 or AS3 or whatever AS you have on thing ? Make sure its a small layer.

To me it sound like u dont have the heatsink on right. Judging this is the second proc that super high in temps are u sure u dont have the Heatsink on backwords ?

Use your finger! touch your heatsink! is it feel hot to touch? If you only feel slightly warm, I suggest you have to reseat your heatsink and apply some AS5 of regular thermal compound.

by heatsink you mean my cooler?(volcano)... soz im spanish and my english is not too good :p

if you mean that i touched it and its not hot, maybe its nearly cold o_o

oh and btw i used the thermal compound that was brought with my volcano... dont know if its as5 or as3, or nothing of those?

p.s: i've put off mycooler and took the thermal compound and put it again... but still the same

p.s2: i've ran ASUS PROBE and says that my CPU Temp is 45.. but it doesnt show DIODE... ¿Do i have to believe that? or i have to believe BIOS? (i think bios :p)

p.s3: p.s: other problem that i haveis that my Mhz are @ 1920 and the norm of 2600+ is 21xx or 20xx right?
myFSB is 166Mhz and multiplier is 12.5, but its weird cuz 12.5 acts the same as 11.5

i changed that in bios tho

Last edited:
my temp is 70°C (in bios) and CPU Diode in windows is 80°C (atm only navigating)

im going to try with my old Green Cooler hope me luck :/

p.s: i've tried my GreenCooler and...... its still the same, no luck CPU DIode's Temp & BIOS are too high

Last edited:
not much good luck, with my green cooler, wich runs alot of rpm slower my diodes temp was 88°C and processor 56°C

with my volcano its procesor 45°C diode 80°C
so it doesnt seem a heatsink problem

have u got the heatsink on backwards

the reason your chip only runs at 1.9ghz is becuase it has 512K L2 Cache unlike the t-bred or pallys which have 256K

now igot my volcano back and im running IDLING at:

CPU temp: 42°C
CPU Diode: 76°C

yeah i foudn out that later lol :p thanks anyways...

That is still a bit on the warm side.

Do you have some sort of monitoring program for watching the temperatures in Windows? My Abit came with Hardware Monitor 2.7 or something like that.

Anyway, it has a case temp reading, you want that low as possible. If you have case temperatures of 40°C or something like that then fit more case fans. Just pushing a bit more colder air into the case can work wonders.

my case is opened at all in the floor lol :/ how would i put fans in it XD

Back