• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ti4200 to 5900XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repo man11

I'm thinking of making the jump, since the price has come down to my range.

Though I get the impression that a 9800 would offer a little more performance, or at least better image quality, my 83 MHz AGP speed evidently rules out a Radeon for me.

So, have any of you gone from a Ti4200 to this card, and how happy were you with the difference? Lock On Modern Air Combat really is too much for my 4200 (it really needs a DX9 card), and I'd like to be able to increase the detail on Forgotten Battles.

I'm thinking of this 5900XT.

Any helpful opinions welcome.

83mhz AGP!!!
:clap:
I don't know about that but I can only tell you of my experience.

I upgraded from an excellent (very overclocked) Leadtek A280 LE TD (Ti4200 w/8x)

I found it sometimes let me down on Call of Duty or UT2004.
I saved up my pennies and bought XFX 5900XT This card has stock memory speeds of 800mhz whereas most 5900XTs have a stock speed of 700mhz.

I didn't really want to buy into the whole "XFX / Pine" thing...
...but OMG this card is running very smooth, cool and quiet.

I've limited my FPS to 100 in CoD.
It stays at 100 FPS on 1600x1200 (full details) even in the most intensive scenarios. 2xAA doesn't seem to affect performance at all on mine.

Image quality is also far superior to my old Ti4200

only downside with the XFX FX5900XT?
Don't mess with 5950 BIOSes and XFX cards...
:(

....but a 5900XT will probably make you very happy after a Ti4200.
It did me anyway...

:D

repo man11 said:
I'm thinking of making the jump, since the price has come down to my range.

Though I get the impression that a 9800 would offer a little more performance, or at least better image quality, my 83 MHz AGP speed evidently rules out a Radeon for me.

So, have any of you gone from a Ti4200 to this card, and how happy were you with the difference? Lock On Modern Air Combat really is too much for my 4200 (it really needs a DX9 card), and I'd like to be able to increase the detail on Forgotten Battles.

I'm thinking of this 5900XT.

Any helpful opinions welcome.

I have that Chaintech card there... it doesn't overclock past 445/745 without 3DMarks dropping like flies... but I think I just got a bad card. It's a nice one though... stock cooling is excellent.

Re: Re: Ti4200 to 5900XT?

betterlife18 said:

I have that Chaintech card there... it doesn't overclock past 445/745 without 3DMarks dropping like flies... but I think I just got a bad card. It's a nice one though... stock cooling is excellent.

I have heard of this. The card can clock very high....but the performance drops. It is most likely that the card is scaling itself down. The 5950 bios adds more voltage to the processor, so it can achieve higher clocks and not lose performance. It worked great on my gainward 5900. Then again, I have the 2.2ns ram. If you do it, you better be sure your ram can run @ 950mhz.

ANYWAY....I didn't upgrade from a ti4200, but I have one to compare to my new 5900. It is not exactly night and day, but a worthy investment if you can afford it. I am sure happy to have this card.

When you start playing far cry, you will never look back at your ti4200. :)

-Collin-

What is with this Far Cry business... is it like the game of the year or something? I hear it a lot..... but the most I've ever seen of it is a screenshot or two. WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT IT!?

Back