• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a Rig 4 a friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicoritschel

Registered
Hi! One of my friends wants me to build him a rig and this is what I've put together so far:
ASPIRE Turbo Case X-Dreamer Black Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power
DFI NFII INFINITY
2400 mobile
9800 pro
Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
Western Digital Special Edition 80GB Hard Drive
ASUS Black 52X QuieTrack Technology CD-ROM Drive
AS5
ZALMAN CNPS7000A-AlCu Aluminum + Copper CPU Cooler

TOTAL-$650

How does this look? Will the zalman have enough clearance to fit on the mobo? Thanks!

-Nico Ritschel

Last edited:
not sure abotu the zalman.

i would reccomend swapping that cd-rom for a cd-rw.and if he's a gamer i'd bump that 512mb of ram up to 1gb so that a bit down the line he won't need to upgrade. other then that it looks like a good system.

What heatsink should I look at? He doesn't want to spend over $45 on a heatsink. He's on a tight budget, so the 1 gig of ram might not work. Also, his dad has a cd-rw in his laptop, so if my friend wants to burn cds, he can use his dad's laptop.

The zalman looks ok, I gues it will fit... not 100% sure about that tho.
I think you should get him a DVD-R instead of a CD-R. Not a lot more expensive but does a lot more work.
If he's a gamer, you might want to add another 512MB of RAM. It looks fine otherwise.

The Zalman support matrix for the socket 462 MBs is here:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/cnps7000a-462_motherboard_list_eng.html

The DFI NFII INFINITY is not listed with clearance problems on the MB, so that will work fine as far as the board goes. However, looking at the MB, I'd suspect from the placement of the CPU socket, that you will have clearance problems with the PS if it's mounted directly above the MB.

As far as what sink to get, given the clearance problems on the board, I'd prefer a Thermalright SLK-900A. The fins face the correct direction to clear the PS and even if expensive, it works well.

Last edited:
My Two Cents

I have to agree with Xaotic the Slk-900A will fit in the budget and provide a very strong air cooling solution.This is verfided by the heatsink review found on Overclockers front page.
For gamming sometime another 512meg of Ram would be very nice but perhaps not necessary right now.

He is going to be gaming. I know it would be much better if I could get another 512 stick of ram, but that doesn't fit in his budget. Thanks!

-Nico Ritschel

Back