• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 2MB cache notebook CPU Intel 845

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

This pentium M cpu seems to run at 1.8GHz but with 2 rather than 1MB cache for centrino chip set notebooks. saw it offered for some dell modells anybody got more infor on this mini prescott/EE chip?

It's the new Dothan-core Pentium-M with 2MB L2 indeed. These will start coming out at speeds from 1.8 to 2.0Ghz and must be very sweet chips since a 1.5Ghz 1MB L2 Pentium-M is already on par with a 2.4Ghz Northwood Pentium 4 HT... (rumours are there will be desktop boards for these eventually)

And 'KOUCH', please do not make any 'guess comments' when you obviously don't know what you're talking about. This only adds a lot of confusion to a thread most of the time. FYI The Pentium-M is a high-performance new mobile chip with a totally different architecture compared to P4. It's a chip that does more work clock for clock than a P4. People like to refer to it as sort of a hibrid between a tualatin P3 and the latest P4. I for one would like to see a 2.0Ghz dothan-core dualie in my SETI farm. It would use low power, run without any heat issues and spit out more WU's per day than anything we have right now...

Last edited:
How much does these chips cost???
And how much for the whole notebook???

Can u change ur chip in a mobile device by urself;
and
Are the overclocking settings the same or copmletely different???

the centrino chip is an amazing chip. perfectly designed for a laptop. only uses wattage in the 20's compared to the high 70's and low 80's of the m4 mobile cpu. plus that extra bit of cache it has makes it so the cpu dsent need to do as much work to get stuff done. im buying a laptop someday with a centrino in it

I'll be getting a pair of Dothan-core 1.8 Pentium-M notebooks here within the next couple of weeks.

I'd gotten quotes for 1.6es a couple of weeks before, and I got new quotes when the Dothan was out... the 1.8s equipped exactly the same as the 1.6, via my account rep, turned out to be $50 cheaper than the older machines. Very nice. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

And Kouch, this 1.8 GHz Intel would most definitely give your Athlon at 2.4 a good run for its money. They're amazingly efficient. I won't be the only one saying "good riddens" when the Prescott is phased out in favor of this chip's successors. At 2.4 GHz, the Dothan is computationally strong enough to run with the fastest CPUs out today. With more memory bandwidth and a higher FSB (as the Pentium 4s have,) the Dothan would absolutely smoke along.

i hate to say it as ther is a HUGE agrument going on about this now and i LOVE AMD but these chips r SMOKING!! they run cool seem to oc VERY well at "stock" voltages and r AMMAZING chips this new core is REALLY sweet.

Don't know price of the chip alone - btw it's calleds 745 not 845 (my bad):( - but at Dell it is a S250 upgrade from the lowest speed pentium M (1.4). The entire notebook (model m600) can be had from about $1050 with 1.4/XGA in the cheapest configuration and thus from about $1300 with this new chip - if you know how to apply all the rebates (dell home). These are very nice 5lbs machines even without the 745. Too bad they do not support dual channel ram and/or HT...

Back