• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp activation (there is no expiration!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
windows xp activation - there is no expiration/limited number of activations!

i have seen hundreds upon hundreds of threads about people being unable to re-activate their windows xp.

when windows will not automatically re-activate itself, this is because the present hardware has changed significantly since your first activation.

first of all, try to activate over the internet. this is the quickest way and is the "normal" way that everybody knows how to activate windows.

letsactivate.png

it is up to you whether you register with microsoft or not, as it makes no difference in the activation process.

register.png

if your key can't be used to activate windows over the internet, you will see a box like this:

max_activation.png

all you need to do to get around this is to click on the box that says "Telephone".

then you will get a screen that looks like this:

activatebyphone.png

the activation wizard generates a new installation id which is basically an id based on your hardware.

simply select your country from the drop down box and a toll-free number will appear for you to call.

call up that number and there will be an automatic system that will take your call. you need to give that system your installation id and it will tell you it can't activate your copy of windows and to stay on the line to talk to a microsoft rep.

then all you need to do is explain that you are re-installing windows after some hardware changes and a fresh install. they will then ask how many computers you have this copy of winxp installed on and as long as it is only 1, they will read you a confirmation code to enter into your computer which will complete the activation and you will be good to go.

so no, you do not need to buy a new license. this is just a security measure to ensure that you aren't mass installing a single copy of windows xp.

*edit: moved images to my webserver*

Last edited:
Been there done that - sometimes they will let you reactivate it, sometimes they won't. What they told me one time was because I was no longer using that copy of XP with the hardware it was originally purchased with it was no longer a valid copy. I called back and told them that lightning had destroyed the original hardware. They told me that in effect lightning had also destroyed that copy of XP. I finally called back and lied about it - told them I had bought it with a floppy drive and was still using that floppy drive. They finally let me activate it, but gave me a warning that it could no longer be reactivated with a hardware change of any kind, period. That's when I finally sold the whole system and went back to 2000.

autoMATTic said:
There should be a sticky thread devoted to Xp reactivation.

i can't agree more. it doesn't have to be this, but we need a sticky very bad!

yes i was about to say that this needed to be a sticky, too many posts about this.

I've managed to keep activating my copy even after changing all the hardware multiple times. I just fiddle with it until it works. What I mean by fiddle is trying to activate it at different points while I'm installing things. First, I'll try it right after the setup. If that doesn't work, I'll install a few updates and try it again. If that doesn't work, I'll upgrade to SP1 and try it again. Etc etc etc...

I know this doesn't sound very logical, but using this method I've been able to activate it almost 100% of the time. Sometimes it'll activate right away, other times it'll take a lot of changing things around. Maybe this isn't making any sense, but that's my little trick. Please let me know if you think I just don't know what the hell I'm doing, haha! :p

Actually that sounds a lot like Microsofts security update procedure - just keep fiddling around with it and maybe it will eventually work.

TC said:
Actually that sounds a lot like Microsofts security update procedure - just keep fiddling around with it and maybe it will eventually work.

lol that sounds about right :p

they probably have books full of possible security holes and the fixes for them all :D

Hahaha, like I said, not very scientific, but by doing that, I've managed to keep my copy of Windows activated. I'm sure eventually it'll stop working, but for now, it's the only way that I've had any luck with.

I can't handle calling in everytime, it takes about 15-20 minutes for me. First I have to put up with the automated service rep treating me like an infant. It takes a good 5 minutes to get all the numbers in. Then after all that, the automated service rep always tells me that it was unable to verify something or other, so I have to repeat the process for the human service rep and then get the new code. It's a circus, I have to jump through flaming hoops to get a legit copy of Windows XP Pro to work.

I think Windows XP Pro is good, but the whole activation process is absolutely ridiculous. I would rather they invade my privacy by taking a photo of me, taking a blood sample, and copying my fingerprints if that meant I could activate it as much as I want hassle-free!

i always get a human rep cause i tell the computer gibberish and it apologizes and tells me that ill be connected to a human asap :p

yes and it will say something similar to, im sorry i can't understand you blah blah would you like to talk to a ms rep or something like that :p

Back