• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$172 9800 pro on newegg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, after comparing this picture with that of the sapphire 9800pro labeled as "bulk" (the one with the silver heatsinks), I have made some observations.

The RAM on the "silver" sink card is BGA, and the "black" sink card is TSOP. The "silver" card has a full size molex connector. The "black" card has a floppy-size molex connector. Also, the resistors/capacitors are all in different places.

On the whole, this new "black" card looks like some kind of 'cheap' version of the 9800pro, with slower/poor quality memory and lower power requirements (therefore it would likely overclock less).

Let's see some more opinions before anyone makes a buying decision here.

Very odd...looks its based off of a 9700's PCB. Didn't know they ever had TSOP memory though. :confused:

I don't think its gimped, but it probably doesn't have any oc'ing potential as vertical said. If you're looking to pay for a 9800Pro and nothing more, this should be a pretty safe bet.

i called newegg and they claim it is a 9800 pro. hopefully i won't have any issues with it

hmm, it's suspicious that it has "I-Shaped" memory as opposed to "L-Shaped" memory. Generally, the "I-Shaped" memory has indicated a 128-bit architecture making it a 9800 SE...

well hey if its not a 9800 pro wcih you should check very carefullly you can always send it back and say that they advertised it falsly

it does look very similar to my 9800 se but it is not exactly the same.

i ordered a little while ago so we'll see on monday most likely. hope it truly is a 9800 pro.

zipzoomfly seem to be selling the same card but they claim it is a 9800 pro 128bit

very wierd in my eyes

Caution is advised when purchasing a Sapphire Ati card. I bought a refurbed sapphire 9700 Atlantis Pro Ultimate Edition for $250. It gave me problems from the start. I vmodded the Gpu which made it stable, but when i vmodded the vmem it died. I took the ramsinks off to see what ram id had and to my horror it was some Etron Tech crap :rolleyes: Rated @ 2.8ns, but I guess it could not handle the 0.01v increase on the voltage. Also i had nightmares upgrading the drivers. I had to format evry dam time in order to use or test new drivers :mad:

I'm a bit disapointed in losing $250, but I've learned a very valuable lesson.

Just my $0.02

well i havent had any problems with my saphire 9800Pro but i havent tried to overrclock it at all(yet), the memory chips on thatone look alot bigger then mine.

i have had no problems with my sapphire... its just that the 9800 looks really similar to a 9700.... :confused:

Looks more like the 9500s with the I shaped ram but TSOP ram???? That's just weird.

I look forward to results. If it's truly a 9800 Pro, that's a very good deal.

well i hope it isn't just a 9500 pro. i called newegg before i ordered and the guy i spoke too confirmed it indeed was a 9800 pro and i think he has his manager and he confirmed it was a 9800 pro.

the only thing he did not know was the clock speeds. if it really is just a 9500 pro, newegg better pay me to ship the card back to them.

LOL i asked the customer service guy so many times to make sure the website wasn't just mislabeled.

Thats a strange looking card there. Probably does just have the 128bit memory. I hope not. Let us now the results.

--Josh

hmm now allstarshop has the same vid card for 171 and they claim it's 256bit as well. i guess we'll all find out in a couple days if this is just a new model from sapphire

the specs on allstarshop say the video card is actually slower than a 9800 pro. i called newegg again and the sales person says maybe it is a slower model and they are not sure. so i decided to cancel the order for now.

According to Japanese sources these boards are new, neutered 9800 Pros with only a 128-bit memory bus. Just part of ATI's plan to phase out the 9800Pro by making it a lower grade card (probably going to move the 9800XT into the $250-300 price range)

Back