• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon Xp 2100+ OCing help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

that_ruski_dude

Registered
hi all,

being that it is my 1st time posting here, my 1st time trying to OC CPU, Ive searched the forums, read a lot of informative articles. Sill a bit rusty on the matter of matching my RAM to the CPU.

here are my system specs:

Windows XP PRO SP1
MSI K7N2 Delta L mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ Retail (not OCed yet :) )
512MB Crucial RAM PC2700 (2x sticks of 128mb and 1xstick of256)
ATI Radeon 9600PRO 128MB Retail vid card
Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM 8MB cache ATA133
Onboard Audio

I bumped my FSB on CPU to 166Mz, and windows would not boot. So i lowered it to 155, it works fine now. Didnt touch the Voltages. It is also set on manual i believe from 1.55-1.65Volts. Multiplier is 13, and i think it is locked or something, because i cannont find it anywhere in my bios. I set my Ram timing on AUTO because when i set the ratio to my self, i had to clear the CMOS. (obviously did something wrong).

Ive read ppl easili setting CPU FSB to 166Mhz with no problems, how come mine wont do that?

My temps are fine, 45C Idle, 50-55CLoad

Thanks

2100s come in a few flavors. You might not have written down your stepping codes, but when and where did you buy the CPU?

One problem I see is that you have several sticks of memory.from what I have seen in my own machine that even if it's the same brand memory with the same timimgs for some reason it's hard to get it timed right so leaving it on auto for now wouldn't be a bad thing.Now on to the fsb problem now keep this in mind just because so and so got 166 fsb with the same type of chip doesn't mean you will be able to each chip is different some are good others are not so good but what you may need to do is bump up the the voltage a touch to get it to run at 166 fsb not a lot just little.up it .25 volts and try to boot see if the works if not up it a little more.now don't go crazy each chip has it's limits to what it can handle keep it with in reason.do some research to find out what is the limit before you do any damage to it i know for bartons on air cooling 1.75 is about the most I will go.

Ok, thanks.

Mine is a 2100+ T-Brid(retail packaging), i got it at Newegg about 6months ago.

right now its running stable at 155FSB with Auto timing RAM and Auto Voltage. I guess im happy with it, once ill install a better cooling, ill try to bump up the voltage+FSb a bit more.:)

How do i find out its stepping codes?(while i ask this, ill try to search the forum to find out)

Mine is a 2100+ T-Brid(retail packaging), i got it at Newegg about 6months ago.

Ok, there's a good chance it's multiplier locked.

The stepping codes are located right on the CPU. You'd have to pull off your HSF to see them. there are two strings of numbers. It's the bottom string that has the stepping info-particulary the info about when it was made. If it's a Tbred made after week 39 of last year (that part of the code would read '0340' for a week 40 CPU) it's multiplier locked.

Some of you Nforce2 owners chime in here pls. - you might want to try running with just the two sticks of 128 first to see if you can get a stable O/C.

but what you may need to do is bump up the the voltage a touch to get it to run at 166 fsb not a lot just little.up it .25 volts and try to boot see if the works if not up it a little more

Yup.

What are your RAM timings? I have the same CPU as you, and bought it at the same time also. I recently got some new ram, but I used to have PC2700. The best I did with my ram was 178FSB and my multi at 12.5. I had to bump my CPU voltage up to 1.8 to get there, other than that I didn't have to change and voltages. I had my timings at 2.5-3-3-11, on my Abit NF7-S. Hope some of that helps, but no system is the same. The timings on my RAM made all the difference when I was overclocking.

Ok, this is what CPU-Z reads:

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Name AMD Athlon XP
Code Name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+
Family / Model / Stepping 6 8 1
Extended Family / Model 7 8
Package Socket A
Core Stepping B0
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 2019.7 MHz
Clock multiplier x 13.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 155.4 MHz
Bus Speed 310.7 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2019.7 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Motherboard model MS-6570,
BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision 6.00 PG
BIOS release date 03/29/2004
Chipset nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1
Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP rev. A4
Sensor chip Winbond W83627HF

AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, not enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 512 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 155.4 MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks
# of memory modules 3
Module 0 Micron Technology DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 128 MBytes
Module 1 Micron Technology DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 128 MBytes
Module 2 Micron Technology DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 256 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Last edited:
With these settings my PC works fine, no errors on Prime95 Torchure Test, allthough ill be dammed if i notice any difference in performance (other than a 100 point increase in 3DMark03)
UT2004 works with no problems (like it did b4). Maybe a movie encoding became faster using Dr DivX, a 700MB movie takes about 2 hours to complete now, b4 it took around 2.5 hours (or more)

it seems you have an tbred a or a dut3c tbred b. i suggest upping the vcore on the proc a bit and then running prime95 for 30mins and continuing to oc. your cpu seemsto be the only thing holding you back so i would say up the voltage to 1.85/1.95, run the cpu at about 2ghz-2.2ghz and prime it for 24hrs.

as for info on your cpu oc potential, i have never delt with an a stepping tbred before but do have a jiuhb dut3c that does 2.5ghz at 2.1v stable on H2O

I just went through some more OC'ing today just to see what mine CPU would do. Maybe this will help you.....

I could get my CPU to post at 2450Mhz, but windows would not load. The most I could get out of it at 1.9v is 2350Mhz. I didn't even wanna check at a higher voltage, because I'm running on air not H2O. Seeing that we have the same CPU and the same steppings, this might be were your CPU should get to also.

Are there any jumpers or anything on your mobo to change your multi?

If you got the cooling go for what fOOt said and bump up the voltage and multi. If you still can't find a way to change the multi then you could change you RAM latencys and bump up your FSB.

Thanks alot guys, i really appreciate ur help.

Ill try to look in my mobo's manual to see if there are any jumpers out there to change the multi (but i doubt it).

Right now im running on stock HSF, it is keeping my CPU pretty cool(43C, 55C), but thats because its cool outside as well. Ive got an Arctic-Cooling Copper Silent 2L HSF sittin on my desk, just havent had time to install it yet. That should keep my CPU considerably cooler than a stock HSF, once i install it, ill try bumping Voltage.

As far as i know, its not a good idea to set my CPU @2450Mhz and my Voltage @1.9v right away when i OC, i should increase them little by litte, right?

As far as RAM latencies go, i would like to stay away from those for now. Still not too sure how that whole process works. If i can get this CPU to run at 3000+ or 3200+ w/o touching RAM latencies, ill be a happy camper :D

Last edited:
ok, i swapped HSF today, here's what was written on my cpu:

AMD ATHLON tm
AXDA2100DUT3C 4157327260050
AIUHUB 0304MPM 1999 AMD

I bumped up my FSB to 160 with 1.7V Core, windows loaded, but then crashed right away. (When it got to the Desktop Part)

MY CPU can do 155FSB with no errors, but seems to have problems with 160FSB (1.75V Core and less)

Ill keep experimenting. :burn:

try bumping the voltage to 1.85v/ 1.9v and see how high you can push it. just keep your eyes on the temps. and get some better cooling on that 2100+ too

My bios has Max VCORE of 1.8

when i raised it to 1.75, my cpu temps were a bit high, 50C-53C IDLE, and 60C LOAD. This will be hotter once the weather ouside heats up as well. All though the CPU booted fine and windows loaded too at 160FSB @1.75Core. I have a poor Case (5year old), that might be the problem for the heating. Right now im staying at 155FSB (x13)and 1.55V-1.6VCore (Auto Settings). Prime solid for 1hour 30minutes, tems are good too 45C idle and 55C load. CPU registers as 2700+.

What does my cpu stepping mean, are they good?

you guys think maybe the new HSF i got is bad, whats your feedback on it? Its pretty big, it barely fitted my mobo.

Thanks again :cool:

Ok that's helpful.

AIUHB 0304 should be an unlocked Tbred B.

1.60 is stock volts. Up your volts a bit, play around with your cooling, change your multi and have some fun. Those were some of the best O/Cing cpus.

Back