• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply mod for Xeon system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMan79

Hey guys!

I have a little problem. I recently purchased a Quad Xeon SKA4 mobo (on a whim of course) and I could use a bit of help.

Allow me to give you the low-down...

I have all the parts I need to put together a functional system, however, upon reading the PDF files from Intel, it seems I have powersupply problems.

This board has both a 20 pin and a 24 pin ATX looking connectors. However, according to the specifcation information, the pinouts for either of the connectors do not adhear to ATX specification. In fact, the only power is supplied to both connectors. No PS-ON or and any other ATX stuff go to these connectors.

Now, I have designed some schematics for making an adapting harness for the powersupplies to the motherboard. In order to do this without cutting my powersupplies to pieces, I need some extension cables. I managed to find several sites selling ATX 20 pin extension cables. But, I can't seem to find any selling the ATX12v 24 pin extension cables.

I would greatly appreciate any direction to some ATX12v 24 pin extension cables, or any tips on such a modifcation. If you need any more info, I would be happy to supply it. I just didn't want my post to get too wordy (which I'm sure it already has!)

Thanks for any help!

- Brian

You could probably get two 20-pin extensions and trim eight pins off the ends (power pins are keyed - be careful which ones you trim) of each one so that you have two 12's. Then attach those to your 24-pin connector. Make sure that when you plug them into the board that you haven't reversed the two plugs.

I have no way to test this, but maybe it'll work for you. :)

Back