• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does wireless make THAT much of a difference in gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SavageBasher

Just wondering... since I've been able to get 2ms pings from my router to the computer on 802.11b. I know Cat5-6 is supposed to be <1ms for 50 yards or something. So will the 2ms latency make that much of a difference?

it doesnt really hurt my game play at all. i do notice because of the fluctuations in signal STR but other then that no.

Even with my Notebook in the same room as my router, i notice spikes more than anything, very breif, but enough to cause a problem for fps games imo.

one thing that you should do is make sure that your antennae is not near any wires on the back of your computer (if you are using a wirless nic) and also you might want to try to move around the access point to get the best signal. i moved my wap to the opposite side of a room that is tiny (moving it only about 8 feet) and the signal went from average to very good and my range is better. cables like your video cable seem to carry some bit of interference from what i can tell so try to mess with the antennae and your cables to provide low pings.

to test with pings, just use the "ping <ip address or host name> -t -l 1024" command in a command prompt window. that will continuously ping that ip address/host name (whichever you use) with a kilobyte of data (i have found that a larger packet size can indicate variances in pings easier, but your ping time will increase) and try to minimize the ping time. then simple do a normal ping and check the ping time.

this is what i did to get my wireless up and running smoothly. i kept getting dropped servers in multiplayer games and this fixed all of that.

good luck.

Ok, I was just wondering because I plan on getting an AP/bridge for my ps2, which is upstairs. My sister's pc, which is in the room next to the one with the ps2, has a wireless card, and both her signal strength and the other thing at 80 or above. Not bad for the router being in the basement! :D

Back