• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Download Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gmork Balthazar

Registered
I think i read somewhere that either your ISP or you cable modem controll how much bandwitch you use for uploading and downloading. Is there any way that you can modify your download speeds to gain more bandwith?

Your ISP can throttle your download/upload speeds if they want to. I doubt you could change that yourself. If you could and your ISP found out they would cancel your account.

The upload speed is low compared to download speed for two reasons:
1. You start out with an allocated bandwidth of 1628kbs and your down/upload speed is 1500/128kbs. Your ISP changes that to 814/814kbs. That would help your uploads but your downloads would suffer since most of what you do is downloading. It is better to keep your download speed high relative to uploads.
2. A more balanced speed mix would favor server use such as in game servers. Since your connection is for home use they are doing this to discourage anyone trying to use a home server.

People trying to use their home connection for server use are usually caught eventually by their ISP. Their accounts are terminated when this is found out.

There is a reason for throttling accounts. In your neigborhood there is only so much bandwidth available. That is, the pipe is only so big. How would you like it if your neighbor hogged all the bandwidth and you could only get at most 2kbs. You would be better off with a dialup modem.

Your cable modem "when rebooted" allways download new firmware with instructions on how to perform etc from your isp or default location.

Gmork Balthazar said:
I think i read somewhere that either your ISP or you cable modem controll how much bandwitch you use for uploading and downloading. Is there any way that you can modify your download speeds to gain more bandwith?
It's possible, but illegal.

Better ways to try to get higher speeds is to check out the tweak test and check that all your computer's settings are set correctly.

If you are looking for bandwidth, a lot of times, there are alternative ISPs in your area that will offer you a lot more bandwidth. Usually there are satelite carriers, microwave carriers, lots of DSL carriers, and usually one or two cable carriers.

Yeah, the simplest way is to use some of the tweaks at sites like speedguide. Generally the best providers fo download speed are cable providers. My connection is $35 for 4 megs down and 128K up. To get ADSL at that speed in my area would cost upwards of $100/month.

I have also found that my download is naturally uncapped, as when I moved to a less internet-populated part of town (went from 350 or so people on my node to four) my connection went from my promised four megs to over 8 megs down on a good day. :D

This seems to hold true with any Midcontinent service as well as Charter cable. Although it is hard to get Charter cable in a sparsely populated area.

Back