• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tape backup software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

We have a Dell powervault 122t LTO 8 tape autoloader. I'm looking for any possible alternatives to backup software that works with the autoloader other than veritas. Needing to backup exchange 2k3,2 SQL 2k databases, system states of several servers, and a file server.

Any suggestions?

I used ARCServe from Brightstor a long time ago. I use BE 8.5 at work and haven't had any issues. I've heard BE 9 is stable and will probably migrate to that at home soon. Either of these will work, but all have their tricks for setup.

wquiles: For bulk backup of major quantities of data, there's no good way to avoid tape. Assuming good compressibility, the 122t could back up 1600GB of live data, without changing cartridges. I use a DLT7000 autoloader at work and DLT8000s and a SDLT220 at home for fileserver and database backups. DVD media just doesn't have the durability, cycle usage or capacity to deal effectively with large scale environments.

thanks for the replies, I'll look into that software.

and yeah, unfortunately tape is almost unavoidable

Last edited:
Back