• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can you connect two computers through USB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Too Smart

Networking is the area of computers I know the least about so sorry if this is a dumb question. I have two computers, a desktop running Win 2000 and a laptop running Win XP. I want to connect them together so that I can transfer files between them. According to the stickies I read here, I need a network card in each computer. But I was wondering if there is a way to do this through USB. I bought a USB-to-USB cable and connected one end to the laptop's usb port and the other end to the desktop's usb port, and I expected to see the laptop's hard drive show up in the desktop's file manager (or vice versa), but it didn't (I tried rebooting, but nothing). What do I need to do in order to transfer files between these computers across the usb cable?

Your computer should have a LAN port on the motherboard... anyway, you need a usb-to-ethernet adaptor for each computer, and you'll need a crossover cable.

Here's a basic overview here.

I think what you had in mind is that in Windows XP you can run a firewire cable directly between two PCs for networking. I'm not too sure about how a 2K machine would work trying this. XP supports it natively, 2K might by now considering how many updates have been issued since I last read about it. 98 requires additional software AFAIK.

Not sure if any of that helps. But if the laptop and desktop both have firewire ports it's something to look into considering the significant jump in bandwidth that Firewire allows.

I know it can be done if each computer has a network card (they do, but I'm too lazy to go buy a cable). But is there a way to do this through the USB ports, since I already have a USB-to-USB cable?

If this can't be done, why would someone manufacture a cable with a USB connector in each end?

Too Smart said:
But is there a way to do this through the USB ports, since I already have a USB-to-USB cable?

If this can't be done, why would someone manufacture a cable with a USB connector in each end?

It can be done you just need the right software to do it.

Linux can do it. That won't be too useful though if you have to use Windows.

Back