• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which processor/ ram would be better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

just a question for all of you... i will be getting intel soon... currently my athlon machine runs on pc 2700 ram... i was wondering would it be better to buy a 3.06b chip and use it with the 2700 ram... and overclock a little bit

or would it be better to buy the 3.0c chip and use it with the ram but underclock the ram a little? (run it at a 3:2 multi i belive would do it...)

I'd get the 3.0C, and with the 5:4 divider, push the RAM as far as it can go. Then drop back to 3:2, and keep going and raising memory voltage along the way until you hit the final wall.

i agree the 3.0c is a better processor and you would get a lot more out of it if you do what miag said with the dividers.

Buy a 3.0C and get some better ram. Like PC3500-4000 would do it. You won't get anywhere with PC2700. The ram is definitely the bottle neck.

Hey there DD, wuzzup? Hard to beat a 3.0C paired up with an Abit AI7 (see my siggy). You really need two sticks of RAM to take advantage of dual channel DDR. Unlike AMD, dual channel really does give you lots of extra memory bandwidth and performance on Intel systems. You can get by for awhile with your single stick of PC2700. Run it at the 3:2 memory ratio will allow up to 250 FSB and still be in spec. A pair of good PC3200 would work fine with the 5:4 ratio... or PC4000 and run 1:1 if you prefer.

Back