• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dumb noob questions sorry...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BadDubbin

Registered
My main question I looked all over the place and couldn't find an answer so,
I just bought a thermalright 947u heatsink and a 92mm fan for it, i was looking at the installation guide on thermalright's website and it said to "face fan forward cpu", not really the best english, so is the fan supposed to blow into the heatsink?

While I'm bothering you, wondered is it that hard to use artic silver thermal paste, if I haven't done it before should I just use the artic ceramique stuff?
I'm not really looking to do to heavy of overclocking just move a 2500+ xp-m up to like 2.2ghz.

oh yeah, one final thing, my case has fans on front, rear, side panel and on the top panel, should i do front & side as intake and top & rear as exhaust, or what would be best?

welcome to the forums!

you're right, the fan is supposed to blow air down onto the heatsink.

arctic silver 5 is pretty easy to use and i would highly recommend it. there are detailed instructions and pictures on their website:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

the fan setup you mentioned is exactly right.

good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask

Thanks for the help.

I was worried bout the AS5 because I've seen people mentioning that you could short your cpu with it, and that would completely ruin my day.

BadDubbin said:
Thanks for the help.

I was worried bout the AS5 because I've seen people mentioning that you could short your cpu with it, and that would completely ruin my day.

If it makes you feel any better. I've only heard warnings about people frying their mobo with AS5...I've never seen any posts about someone who did fry it.

are you planning on using amd or intel?

shorting out an intel now would be damn near impossible with the heatspeader they use

if you follow the instructions and use a very very thin layer (on the AMD core) you will be fine.

amd xp-m 2500, , just gotta be careful not to get it on anything but the core

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS For more air flow with less noise, remove the fan grids from the case if you haven't already. Wires and cables out of air paths help with air flow also..Keep your flow up & temps down.:cool:

Back