• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to copy Outlook 2003 "contacts" to "address book"??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squale

Okay, I have a very annoying problem that I don't know how to resolve. In Microsoft Outlook 2003, as we all know, it uses the standard .pst file. Well, I reinstalled office and now I went to restore my .pst file. Everything worked fine and all of my email messages, accounts, and "Contacts" restored. But none of the entries in my "Address Book" restored. So now I have all of my contacts in the "Contacts" folder, but nothing in the address book. This is very annoying because when I go to make a new e-mail and I click on the "To" button, that pulls up the "Address Book" which is empty. The only way to get people's e-mail addresses is to go into the "Contacts" folder then get the email address from there and compose your new message.

I have been trying to trying to get all of my "contacts" copied into the "address book" but am having no luck at all. There HAS to be a way to do it, I just don't know how. Can somebody please shed some light on this problem for me.. thanks!

make sure that you right click on your contacts, select properties, go to the Outlook Address book tab, and select show this folder as an email address book. Close the contacts properties page.
Then, go to tools, address book. Then tools options from within the adress book window. This will show you which address book will be displayed first when you click "to:". change it to your contacts folder that contains all your contacts and you should be good to go...

Good Luck!

Well, not sure if I totally followed what engjohn said, but it worked! I feel the pain of trying to get the contacts and THEN the address book to show up! I had kept trying to get my address book to show and was repeatedly looking in my address book for the names when I was doing the importing of contacts. Well, it WAS importing the contacts when I finally clicked the contacts button and found em all there...several times!
So, now to move the contacts to the address book, I opened the contacts via the Contact icon. Right click on the word Contacts at the top left under MY CONTACTS, then click Properties, then click Outlook Address Book, check mark the Show this folder as an Email Address Book, then open your address book, click Show names from the address book, there I found the word Contacts and clicked it to then show me ALL my contacts...woo hoo! And then when I went to write email I was able to do the TO thing and add the addresses to the email. I did not find it to find the email if I just started to write the name in the TO box, so I am not able SO FAR to get that special feature. Maybe it will occur as I use it...like use its memory...maybe...hopefully. But now much better than it was.
Good luck!
Debbie

Ok...just did another email attempt and I see when using the TO option to find the names, you will have to use the drop down box and again find the folder of Contacts again. It may happen each time.

UPDATE! Just was typing some email....and it did use the HISTORY/MEMORY feature and brought up email address I had used in my mailings today! Yeah...its a start!

Thank you, engjohn - that worked perfectly. I didn't start this post but found it in my online search. Thanks to you, I win!

Back