• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Benchmarked Hyperthreading.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@/2ct!<

I was just wondering if there have been any solid comparisons of various multitasking programs with A64 and a P4 with hyperthreading, all the reviews of processors have one program or another running, but no two at once. I know P4 should have better results, but I want to see how much better. Any personal insights are always welcome too.

@/2ct!< said:
I know P4 should have better results, but I want to see how much better. Any personal insights are always welcome too.
Better at what? That's a very broad statement. The top of the line P4 and A64 are relatively close in many things. The A64 wins some and the P4 wins some. A lot of reviewers have included benchmarks with HT enabled. Are you looking for a particular program?

I just meant with two + large programs in general, I was looking for like a suite of tests with like encoding& gaming, photoshop and encoding, etc. I just want to know how much better hyperthreadings is on average than non hyperthreading.

Anandtech would be a good place to start. If you like soap operas head on over to [T] or [H]

That a big increase, AMD should have put something on the cpu's like Hyperthreading, cuss if they did they would be leadng in 3d apps which they are now and tied or better in Multi apps.

just wondering, is it legal for amd to put somethign like hyper threading in? isnt that like a patent infrignment(even if its a differnt name).

And again its better to say what you are doing. Personally if you think you are goign to need a system with HT, just get an SMP you will be muhc more happier.

Yea but putting something like that the proc's we all buy is just an Added bonus, specially if the A64 had it, the proc would be just a Unstapable monster

DayUSeX said:
just wondering, is it legal for amd to put somethign like hyper threading in? isnt that like a patent infrignment(even if its a differnt name).

And again its better to say what you are doing. Personally if you think you are goign to need a system with HT, just get an SMP you will be muhc more happier.
Not really, they have cross liscencsing agreements, which is why AMD uses x86 and why Intel has no problem using x86-64. I personally wouldnt multitask much, I was just curious at how effective it was just in case..

Maybe they didn't include it in there processor because they plan to make dual cored cpus instead. (I hope)

HT helps a P4, because it has such a long pipeline, some data doesnt get to the end in time, and must start over, leaving extra room in the pipe. HT prepares data to take that place if the first set of data goes back, so that no matter what, the entire pipeline of the cpu is in use, therefore being much more efficient.

HT would not benefit that athlon 64 at all, as it has a very short, and super efficient pipeline system, and data that gets sent back(if any) will be back where it was before any SMT technology could replace if with something else. That is why amd doesnt use it, nor intend to any time soon.

I was reading this post and was getting ready to reply when I saw dguy's post. I wouldnt have explained it the same way, but in general he is right.

Back