• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pass on winxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewGuy143

So, a couple of days ago my stupid brother put a password on his computer and he doesnt know what it is, so we dont have administrator of his machine and we can only use his guest account. Is there something I can do to avoid reinstalling windows and be able to install things on his computer.
TheNewGuy

yes there is. there is a rescue CD that you can create that will boot into Linux and let you reset the admin password. Give me a few and I'll find the link. you can download the ISO image and create the cd yourself.

if you start in safe mode, usually a admin account will apear that is not there in regular mode. if noone password protected this account its possible to login in using it and change the account settings for all users. A friend of mine did the same thing and thats how he fixed it after I told him what to do

CrazyP said:
if you start in safe mode, usually a admin account will apear that is not there in regular mode. if noone password protected this account its possible to login in using it and change the account settings for all users. A friend of mine did the same thing and thats how he fixed it after I told him what to do

You can use tweakUI in XP pro to do the same thing.

Man we have a floppy disk at school the will allow you to reset the Admin password to whatever you choose. I will have to get a copy of it.

Yeah, just boot into safe mode (F8) and you'll have an administrator as an account and even if all the other acounts are password protected, you can get in as an admin and change everything.

Or do Ctrl + Alt + Del @ the Welcome Screen when Windows boots up, type 'Administrator' into the username and click enter (unless there is a password on the administrator account itself) then it won't work..

Back