• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Runnign a hotspot question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fightingpiper

Well I have comcast cable and am running a hotspot from at my house. I was using 2 IP's from the modem as I didn't want the hotspot traffic to see my LAN. Basically the network went from the MOdem to a switch to both a dlink wireless router and also from the swith to a Linksys wired router which led to my LAN.

I got a letter from comcast stating that I "may" be using 2 IP's ( I was) and that they were going to terminate one of them. I was wondering what I could do so I could still run the hotspot but still be safe from prying eyes.

I am going to run the wireless router off of the wired. I know the Dlink wireless router has a default Ip of 192.168.0.1 and the Linksys has one of 192.168.1.1. Since the clients of the wireless will have a different IP extention of 0.1XX and not 1.1XX of my Lan, will they be able to see my LAN?

also can I run DHCP on the wireless router while its connected to the wired sice its going to be distributing different IP address'?

Hmmm...Lets see, if you have two routers, how are you connecting them? Dlink --> Linksys, vise versa? The only problem with running two routers is having a double NAT. Say you have your Dlink connected by its WAN port to the modem, so you are getting your internet from modem to the dlink. The dlink router is going to hand out its DHCP address to any computer connected to it. i.e. 192.168.0.2 and so on. Now, you have the linksys wireless router. The linksys router also has a WAN port, however, its expecting a DHCP "public" address from a cable or dsl modem. Instead, if it was hooked up to the Dlink router, Linksys WAN port to Dlink LAN port, you have a double NAT, which won't work. (two many layers) The only way I could see this working, would be to disable NAT on the wireless linksys router, hook up the linksys router to from its LAN port to one of the Dlink's LAN ports. Basically, your Dlink router is still a router but the linksys is now a swtich. After this, any wireless computer attached the linksys will need to be assined a "Dlink" IP address statically, as the DHCP server on the linksys router is now disabled and the wireless will not know where to obtain IP addresses.

Thanks for you reply but it is actually working! I think you got the routers mixed up but the Dlink is the wireless. The network looks like this...modem---->Linksys hardwired---->Dlink wireless

What I did was just connect the Dlink to the network via its WAN port and it is accepting a Local Ip from the Linksys. so the Dlink's IP is 192.168.1.112. Now If I connect to the DLINK wirelessly I still have the DHCP turned on for that and it is giving out IP's of 192.168.0.100 +. So as far as I can tell this setup is working. I think the DHCP functions of the routers are not conflicting because they are giving out different IP address. I think I would have trouble if I was using the same type of router or one that gave out 192.168.1.xxx numbers.....

Also I cant see the linksys network while connected wirelessly and The wireless connections can't see wired. Lets hope this keeps working. My fingers are crossed.

again thanks for the response........

Back