• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about intel heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frozen Shadow

I was looking at an intel heatsink the other day and I noticed a blackish square of a rubber/film type stuff. I was wondering what this stuff was. Is it some kind of preapplied thermal solution? Does that get left on or is it supposed to come off? Its not the type of stuff that normally is on a heatsink - a protective film peel off thing. I dont use the intel heatsinks but I was just curious.

C-ya

Frozen Shadow said:
I was looking at an intel heatsink the other day and I noticed a blackish square of a rubber/film type stuff. I was wondering what this stuff was. Is it some kind of preapplied thermal solution? Does that get left on or is it supposed to come off? Its not the type of stuff that normally is on a heatsink - a protective film peel off thing. I dont use the intel heatsinks but I was just curious.

C-ya

Its some kind of preapplied thermal solution.

its just TIM (Thermal interface material) you can leave it on, but it won't give you the greatest temps. i would carefully take it off with maybe a slotted screw driver, or your finger nail. finally cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. then applying as5, ceramique or some other thermal paste to the processor. then attach the heatsink

X is right. It actually does a decent job at stock speed or with mild overclocks, but removing it and using a thermal paste like Arctic Silver is better for us overclockers. The trouble with the stock TIM is that it partially melts and sticks to the CPU, so if you ever try removing the CPU, it'll pull it up out of the socket because the heatsink is stuck to the CPU.

Alright. Thanks for the replices. I wasnt sure what it was. I had an idea it was a thermal solution but figured i'd ask just to be sure. I dont use the intel heatsinks anyway. I prefer all copper.

C-ya

Back