Question about intel heatsinks

I was looking at an intel heatsink the other day and I noticed a blackish square of a rubber/film type stuff. I was wondering what this stuff was. Is it some kind of preapplied thermal solution? Does that get left on or is it supposed to come off? Its not the type of stuff that normally is on a heatsink - a protective film peel off thing. I dont use the intel heatsinks but I was just curious.

C-ya

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Shadow
    I was looking at an intel heatsink the other day and I noticed a blackish square of a rubber/film type stuff. I was wondering what this stuff was. Is it some kind of preapplied thermal solution? Does that get left on or is it supposed to come off? Its not the type of stuff that normally is on a heatsink - a protective film peel off thing. I dont use the intel heatsinks but I was just curious.

C-ya
    Its some kind of preapplied thermal solution.

its just TIM (Thermal interface material) you can leave it on, but it won't give you the greatest temps. i would carefully take it off with maybe a slotted screw driver, or your finger nail. finally cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. then applying as5, ceramique or some other thermal paste to the processor. then attach the heatsink
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

10 Year Badge
    X is right. It actually does a decent job at stock speed or with mild overclocks, but removing it and using a thermal paste like Arctic Silver is better for us overclockers. The trouble with the stock TIM is that it partially melts and sticks to the CPU, so if you ever try removing the CPU, it'll pull it up out of the socket because the heatsink is stuck to the CPU.
    2600K, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 2X2GB G.Skill Pi PC3-2133, PC & Cooling 750W
    watercooled: Eheim 1048 pump, Swiftech Apogee GTX and 2X120mm rad
    FS020 case, OCZ SSD, Sapphire HD 6950, Acer X241W 24" widescreen

Alright. Thanks for the replices. I wasnt sure what it was. I had an idea it was a thermal solution but figured i'd ask just to be sure. I dont use the intel heatsinks anyway. I prefer all copper.

C-ya