• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The popularity of SETI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeltaSierra

Here's a semi-interesting piece of information. Late last night, I transmitted the couple of WUs that were completed during the day on my home machine. My "SETI" position was an even 64,000th! But, this morning at work, I transmitted the one WU that my office machine completed overnight, and now my SETI position is 64,375th!!

Just shows how popular (and important) SETI is worldwide that so many people are joining and contributing. Overnight, 375 people contributed more WUs than I did!

DeltaSierra said:
Here's a semi-interesting piece of information. Late last night, I transmitted the couple of WUs that were completed during the day on my home machine. My "SETI" position was an even 64,000th! But, this morning at work, I transmitted the one WU that my office machine completed overnight, and now my SETI position is 64,375th!!

Just shows how popular (and important) SETI is worldwide that so many people are joining and contributing. Overnight, 375 people contributed more WUs than I did!

When I heard about Seti@home, 6 months ago, it was in the context of it being a great program to burn in PC's, to test overclocking reliability.
At first, that was the only reason that I downloaded it - but after a short period, it became an obsession.
Quite a few other folks download it for the same reason - then get hooked.

I first found out about seti a few years ago. In the 7th grade, every computer in the computer lab had seti on it (though I didn't know it was seti). I loved the screensaver they had because of the graphics, and was determined on getting it for my computer. Unfortunatly, I didn't have internet access, and when leaving middle school, I soon forgot all about seti.

Later, my freshman year of high school, I was surfing on the 'net (I finally got it! YEA!) and found a web space provider. I was looking around imaging the page I might build, when I found a button labeled "Click here for a random web-page!". I clicked, and found myself at an astronamy page made by one of their members. I looked around (liking astronamy) and found a seti link. Still not remebering what it was, I clicked to see what it was. And here I am now, with more than a year of WU behind me, and a team to help get to #1!

JigPu

The fun and functionality of Seti @ Home is many fold. As the reasons above mentioned. I just enjoy keeping my electric bills high and wondering when ET is going to knock on my door. LOL ! It is alot of fun and the hobby flourishes as a team endeavor to kick butt !

Maestro

When I first downloaded SETI I think I crunched about 13 WU's in 6 months, but then it became addictive about a month or 2 ago and I've found SETI to be a good tool for maintaining and testing stability of my system

Digging up an old PS2 laptop to start crunching on...hopefully that will be up and before i go to sleep tonight...cranking out 60 hour WU's :) hehe

I heard about SETI during the beta test... did a few WUs, then left on spring break... when we got back it was the 2nd day of the current project 5/19/99...

Been crunching since...

Addicted???... Who, me? Addicted?.... ;)

Seti is an addiction. Just completed 6 months with Seti - and when I started, I only had 2 machines running it - a slot Athlon 600mhz, and a K6-2 400mhz. I replaced both machines with faster ones - then after joining this team 2 months ago, I started building more and more - and am probably not done yet.

TC has more toys than I do. :cool:

Same thing here. I've been testing my systems 24/7 for about two months now, they're stable.

I'm putting a system together for one of my sons tonight, I told him it would be ready in about two weeks.

KVM switch next, then I won't have to hide the moinitors from my wife.

Back