• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 Bit Processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"I've got almost the same setup you have and I think it will last me at least 6 more months. In that time, AMD will release a number of new processors, new software will come out and prices will fall considerably"

If you wait 6 months the price will drop, but then 6 months after that its cheaper, then 6 months after that its still cheaper. What I'm saying is if you wait it never ends, if you can afford it and want it, then buy it :D

the 64 bit cpus of today no point in buying, by the time 64 bit computing is mainstream the 64 bit cpus of today will be so horribly obsolete anyway...

so true but when 64bit is mainstream it gives the cpu a little speed boost though over 32bit. so it will revive the cpu for a few months till another upgrade.

hooah said:
If you wait 6 months the price will drop, but then 6 months after that its cheaper, then 6 months after that its still cheaper. What I'm saying is if you wait it never ends, if you can afford it and want it, then buy it :D

Ahh, but it does end. I bought my 2500+ nearly a year ago for virtually the same price it sells for today(and it was unlocked). Today a Socket 939 3500+ costs $500(as an example). After 6 months and a number of new Socket 939's and some Intels, the price drops to, let's say $250. Then let's say the price halves again in 6 months to $125. If you buy it now, you spend $250 more than if you had waited 6 months. You can buy 1GB of some nice RAM for $250, and also take into consideration that the current setups most people have today still perform well with today's software. If buy it in 6 months, you would have spent $125 more than if you had waited a year but by then, your system would be nearing obsolete.

k_r_i_p_l_e_r said:
the 64 bit cpus of today no point in buying, by the time 64 bit computing is mainstream the 64 bit cpus of today will be so horribly obsolete anyway...

Yes, if you run Windows it will probably be a long while until 64-bit software is really pervasive.

The Athlon64s are still darn fast - why would you buy a P4 or AthlonXP over one (besides pricing) if the A64 is faster for your workload?

Well they don't see that much more expensive than AthlonXPs, still in league with P4s. You don't need to justify the extra money with 64-bits, they are fast cpus anyway.

Back