• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp wont except serial key

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

I am reformatting a HP computer which came preinstalled with xp home but the owner has no disk.It has a valid key which is on the side of the computer case and I am using my oem copy of xp which I got off newegg.All is well until it ask for the serial key.Enter it and it says it's invalid.I am entering it correctly and my copy of xp is legit.I have went thru the whole reformat twice and get the samething.Not trying to scam or anything like that but just trying to work around a lost cd so what would the problem be here?The key on the HP computer is an oem key and my copy of xp is oem.

Is your CD XP home?

The owner of the PC should contact HP about getting a replacement disc or other options he may have.

Sorry was off to work.My copy is xp home oem from newegg and the HP came pre loaded with xp home which should also make that an oem version.There are oem.retail and volume license versions of xp which each has a different type of serial key.Since both the key from the HP box and my copy are oem versions it should work but doesn't.

No HP uses a speacial version of XP it has all the drivers and such already on it you have to get the disk form them.

If you are installing from the oem disk you bought from newegg then you need to use the serial key that came with the newegg disk.

yelgnid said:
If you are installing from the oem disk you bought from newegg then you need to use the serial key that came with the newegg disk.

I have a thread going at dslreports on this and from there and from what I thought as long as both keys are for an oem copy of xp this should work.What your saying is each key is unique to each xp cd?Contrary to what I thought this seems to be true since it will take my serial key.

each and every key is unique. You can't use one key with a different cd. The Hp comp didn't have a back up partition on the HDD with the software on it? We have a HP in our office and all of the software is in an encrypted partition on the HDD.

Yes you can use different keys with a CD which matches the type of key. He obviously has a key tied to a special HP version of XP. You have 2 choices.

1. Call HP and get a replacement disk.

2. Call Microsoft and get a replacement disk.

Good luck!

My brother bought this used without cd/manual/anything.Became corrupt to the point it was useless so my intent was to wipe it clean and more or less make a non HP computer out of it(done this many times using 98).Not realizing the HP key would not work with my oem copy of xp (HP is oem xp also) I deleted both c and the recovery partition :temper:Not being familiar with HP support since I would never buy one will they send/sell a copy of their xp to me as long as I have a key from their box?If it comes down to it he can get a copy as I did from newegg.Anybody know if HP puts anything in their bios to prevent me from installing a fresh copy?

It is a different kind of OEM. The only way to find out is to call HP and/or Microsoft. As long as you have the key they should furnish the media for you, but the only way to know for sure is to try. Good luck:D

Just reformat the drive and install gentoo linux. Then you won't ever have to deal with licensing crap again. =)

Back