Thread: SLK900A clip

SLK900A clip

Will this heatsink be too heavy for the socket lugs, or is it safe to use? I've read that some heatsinks can be too heavy, and this looks like a heavy, heavy sink. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, is an ALX800 better than an SLK900A? If not, how much of a difference is it?
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 06-11-04 at 07:10 PM.

Currently on a silent vacation from overclocking.
    The SLK isn't too heavy to use despite exceeding AMD's HSF weight limits, just be sure not to move the case around alot while it's mounted.

The ALX-800 is comperable to the SLK-800 (assuming both are used with a high flow fan, with a low flow fan the ALX will perform worse) so you might see ~2-7*C difference between the two.

I use a 900a in my antec 1080amg, it does seem a little heavy in your hand but once you’ve got it securely fastened down there’s no real problem. But as always be careful when moving a case with one, any drop could potentially rip it off.

this is what i thought at first when i got my SLK-900A but once I put it on I felt that the socket could handle it, but like mord is saying try not to move it to much. If you are going to move it, carry your case on its side so the heatsink is basically just resting on the mobo rather then pulling and straining the socket in its normal position.

Thanks for the help guys, ALX800 it is for me... .

If you are going to move it, carry your case on its side so the heatsink is basically just resting on the mobo rather then pulling and straining the socket in its normal position.
    Also be sure not to sit the computer down very hard or the shock could cause problems.
    System Specs
    Windows XP Pro (sp1)
    Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
    Thermalright SP97 HS
    Abit NF7-S rev 2.0
    2 - Maxtor 80gig 8meg cache
    1 - Maxtor 320 gig sata
    512meg PC2700
    GForce 6600
    Klipsch 5.1
    Antec P160 Case

I have the SLK900(a) on my NF7-S and I moved my case PLENTY of times. I even had it upside down one time ( dont ask ), didnt move.