• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI on Playstation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sephis

I recently read that Sony is developing a Linux OS for the Playstation2. Any ideas on if it would run SETI? The PS2 does have internet capability and its fast enough. I just wonder if the OS will be close enough to run it. Just a thought.

There is a Linux cli, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Then again, I don't know that much about Linux or ps2's. lol As I recall, some time back it was discovered that you could hack an xbox to run linux and seti. Wouldn't seem overly worth it as the xbox cpu is about 700mhz or so... but anything helps I guess! :p

the issue here isnt the operating system. the operating system and it's API's can always be emulated, with programs such as wine. the issue here is that the PS2 uses a different processor architecture than most computers. SAH offers support for many architectures, including the MIPS architecture, though they only offer a client for MIPS with IRIX running on it. So if you can get your PS2 running with linux, then you compile a unix emulator, you should be good to go. It would be really cool if someone would offer a livecd that jsut does SAH and runs on the PS2.

edit: are you sure sony is developing it? im kinda doubting that. gentoo has a PS2 project going on. And there used to be a debian port for PS2, but the developer stopped work on it. the gentoo port is having some trouble as well. but what im really interested in is SAH on a gamecube. PPC to the end!!

Now, what i'd REALLY like to see, is seti being crunched on the PS3 when it comes out!!!

i know their archatecture for the CPU's are WAY different than computer CPU's and all.

By MHZ rating and all, they said it would be equivalent to 10 Intel Processors running at 2.5 Ghz. basicly 25Ghz. of power. now, i know that isn't the same as computer processors and all. but i'd like to see how seti could do on that!

yeah, and santa clause is real. reality check, what kind of processor can do that? the processors they are going to use for both xbox 2 and ps3 are both supposed to be PPC type processors. and while ibm has some serious offerings, none of them are near equivalent to 10 p4's at 2.5ghz. i think we might see a dual core chip in it though. probably at the very low end though. maybe a dual core 800mhz chip. that said, that is like 4-5 work units a day.

the xbox two is supposed to use 3 ppc chip with hyperthreading and dual core at ~3.5ghz

the ps3 is going to use these wierd "cell" chips that I have viirtually no understanding of other than their going to be running allot of threads...

I think running seti on an xbox would be more promising. Its faster, already has a hd and ethernet, and you can install linux without doing any hardware mods, etc... Here is the site for it http://www.xbox-linux.org/

Xbox prices just dropped and you can find good used ones on ebay for really cheap... just giving my .02cent worth but what can I say im just a folder :beer:

I wonder if you could take advantage of the ps2 128bit cpu when runnig seti. Xbox is 733mhz but only 32bit, while ps2 is 233mhz at 128bit. I might be wrong tho.

it doesnt use a 128 bit cpu, it has a 32 bit cpu like the rest of them. and a weak one at that. also, the specs for the xbox2 are a serious hoax. i believe that it will use dual processors, but not triple, not hyper-threaded, and not multi-cored. and not even close to 3.5 ghz. that kinda gives it away when ibm is struggling to make 2.5ghz ppc64 chips.

and as far as the ps3 goes, i can definetly see it using the reconfigurable processor we have heard about. should be pretty cool.

ive heard some stuff about their reconfigurable processor. it sounds like it could be pretty cool. maybe with seti it will go into an fpu intensive mode or something.

But SETI has little or no vector code, so the emotion engine being "128 bit" is meaningless. I feel that it could only do .25 -.75 WU a day based on it's weak specifications. I think that the Xbox 360 will be able to do 4-6 WU a day with it's waternoose chip, and the PS3 should be able to crank out quite a few in the 20+ area if it gets a 6 SPE cell processor. Which I think is going to be unlikely, and even if this were the case it is going to be extremely difficult to extract alot of power out of the design for anything but an easily parallelized code base like seti.

I think the real question here is; how will SETI run on a quantum processor? :D.. seriously, although people are getting a little heated about this thing and that thing running SETI, in the end, even if it doesnt run it well, isnt the feeling that you've converted something to the light side just by running SETI? :p I know I do.. soon we will see SETI running on CD players and the like.. I cant wait for that day :p

Careface*

Hmm. . . I need to get my wrt54g running seti :D

I'm pretty sure it can, now that I think of it. I think that would be pretty goddamn 1337 if i made it work.

Back