• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo? Promise Cntlr? SATA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

I'm currently running an ASUS a7V266 with an XP2500+. The promise RAID controller takes forever to detect the hard drives unless all 4 ports are used. When all 4 ports are used, it only takes a couple of seconds to detect the hard drives. As far as I know there is no way around this.

Now for my question. All of the new boards seem to have SATA RAID ports. Do they have this same problem? Is SATA really any faster than DMA133?

What is a good upgrade mobo that doesn't force me to use SATA drives? I have 4 drives that work at DMA133 that add up to 250 Gigabyte. Who needs more storage???

The new Intel Chipsets' SATA with any Native SATA Drive and TQM will break the ATA133 spec as reported by THG. Its in the article about Intels new platforms.

If you have dma133 drives, and sata mobo connections, you can buy sata adapters for them. These generally aren't too expensive and work well, your drives will run faster and if you use up those SATA connections on the board, it will post quicker too (or so I've been led to believe :p)
Hope this helps,
--Nathan
p.s. anyone feel free to completely contradict me :D

Back