IAD - Internet Addiction Disorder?

I'm doing a presentation for my Human Relations class tomorrow morning on this controversial disorder, and I thought it would be nice to get some feedback from you guys on this.

---\
    Do you think there is such thing as IAD?
    ---/

---\
    Would you say you fall into the characteristics of having IAD?
    1) Using the online services everyday without any skipping?
    2) Loosing track of time after making a connection?
    3) Going out less and less?
    4) Spending less and less time on meals at home or at work, and eat in front of the monitor?
    5) Denying spending too much time on the Net?
    6) Others complaining of your too much time in front of the monitor?
    7) Checking on your mailbox too many times a day?
    8) You think you have got the greatest web site in the world and dying to give people your URL? lol
    9) Logging onto the Net while already busy at work?
    10) Sneaking online when spouse or family members not at home, with a sense of relief?
    ---/

---\
    If you think you might have a bit of IAD, do you think it's all that bad as they claim it is?
    ---/

I know I'm addicted to the Internet somewhat. But I don't think it's any worse than talking on the phone a lot, or watching tv often. I think it's a convenient way of learning, socializing, and doing work... of course they say denial is one of the symptoms as well . Anyway, our teacher wants us to do an oral report on something relating to class and hopefully something we are going for at college. So Computers + Psychology class = report on Internet Addiction Disorder.

Powder Junkie Moderator

They don't call OCing and OC Forums an addiction for nothing!

I don't think it's a bad thing though. Just in moderation like everything.
    "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

Serious Gamers Halo Custom Edition
    Green Leaves!

Disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by diggingforgold

---\
    Do you think there is such thing as IAD?
    ---/
    Well, if you can get addicted to other behaviors such as gambling, then why not the internet? I saw something on this on the discovery channel and one case they looked at was a husband and wife who ran some company from home and sat back to back coordinating the operation via AIM. Come on now, tear yourself away from the computer and go out to lunch once in a while.

---\
    4) Spending less and less time on meals at home or at work, and eat in front of the monitor?
    8) You think you have got the greatest web site in the world and dying to give people your URL? lol
    10) Sneaking online when spouse or family members not at home, with a sense of relief?
    ---/
    1. Yes.
    2. I have DSL and a router. So I don't ever have to connect. Do I lose track of time? 3. Yes but i do that anyway even when I am not on the 'net.
    4. Less than what? I have been this way for years.
    5. I don't have a kitchen table so I don't know what to compare eating in front of my computer to.
    6. I make no secret of the fact that I spend most of my time on the net.
    7. They gave up years ago.
    8. Can't say I do that but then I am not big on the email thing. AIM and ICQ make email irrelevant.
    9. http://www.geocities.com/athens/1200. Nope, not even close to cool but I do give it out to whoever cares.
    10. Not when I am busy but during my hour long breaks? Of course.
    Before I got DSL I used to only log on after the GF went to sleep but that was just to keep the phone line open (he says).

---\
    If you think you might have a bit of IAD, do you think it's all that bad as they claim it is?
    ---/
    Before you ask that question there is a more basic question: Is addiction itself wrong? We allow people to become addicted to gambling, fatty foods, smoking and alcohol. So can we tolerate IAD? Speaking personally, I can tear myself away from the computer to go to work and clean my apartment. So am I addicted or just spending my free time the way that I choose to do so? I don't know and I really don't care.

It's summer, I have one class a day. I'm board during the daytime.

I surf the web. Sue me.

I would not call myself an addict because I do occasionally go without the internet. However, when I am home, I am on the internet usually about 4-6 hours a day or more. I watch my TV programs off the net, listen to music, play games, surf the web, post on this forum, shop for stuff, do research, all sorts of stuff... It is part of my life now and has made so much of what I do cheaper and faster. I don't know what I would do without it.
    sig deleted by muddocktor-take it up with the Admins

1. Yeah, I'm online pretty much every day, if that's what that question means.
    2. Oh yeah. I sometimes don't realize it's 4 in the morning till someone comes in and yells at me. hehehe...
    3. Out? What is this "out" of which you speak?
    4. I don't eat that much at my computer, mainly cause it gets messy. Every once in a while I do, though.
    5. What? I've only been on for ten hours. What do you mean I can't stay up all night on the internet?
    6. See #5.
    7. I don't really get that much mail, so I usuallly only check once or twice a day.
    8. Not really, my web site's only a front end for my server... Kinda bland.
    9. Not employed, so I can't say.
    10. I don't "sneak" but I do go online when no one else is home.

Nah, I'm not "addicted". Not in the traditional sense, like with nicotine or a chemical dependency, anyways.
    Lions and tigers come running just to steal your luck.

Kendan denies everything and runs screaming from this thread and the truth
    Hello:sn:

this forum is an addiction, no doubt

MONOLITH - Xeon W3540 (testing) - Rampage 2 Extreme - 12 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 - GTX 570 - 120 GB OCZ Vertex - Antec TruePower New 750W - Corsair 700D - Apogee XT - XSPC 360
    Hack1nt0sh - Core2Duo E4600 (11x335 : 3685) - 4 GB G.Skill (894) - HD 3850 (810/2120)- Asus P5W DH - OSX86 10.5.1 / Win 7
    MacBook Pro - i7 2.66 - 4 GB - GT 330M - OSX 10.6.4

Opty 148 3504mhz
    Core2Duo 3917mhz

Gambling:
    American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-III-R, 1987 and DSM-IV, 1994). DSM-IV characterises it as a disorder of impulse control, the essential features of which are a chronic and progressive failure to resist impulses to gamble and gambling behaviour that compromises or disrupts the gambler's life. Accompanying this are features such as mood disorders, stress related medical conditions and personality disorders.

----------

So it's application to Internet use may or may not be valid depending on the situation. It would be about Impulse Control and the negative effects on life.

You've got to mention the DSM though, I'm sure that would be important.
    i7 920 -- Asus P6T -- Thermalright Ultra120 -- Hynix 6x4G (24)
    Cucial M4 128, Western Digital 2, 4, 2-2-2
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W - Stryker
    Win8 - Adobe - Vegas Pro
    560Ti
    <><

1. Well if I'm around the internet I use it every day.
    2. I don't think I do, mainly because of that convenient little clock in the lower right
    3. I get out of the house as much as I would if I didn't use the internet at all, because I'd just do something else (TV, whatever)
    4. I generally don't eat at my computer, although on occasion I do.
    5. What? Spend too much time on the computer?
    6. My parents long ago gave up complaining about my computer time.
    7. Ummm Outlook automatically checks every minute...does that count?
    8. My web site sucks, I never have enough time to really make a good one.
    9. I have been known to browse the forums while I'm *supposed* to be busy in class.
    10. I never sneak online, I generally don't care if my family knows I'm just sitting at the computer.

And no, I don't think there really is such a thing as Internet Addiction. I don't think the actual internet, i.e. electrons flying around the world, gives anyone a high. However, people may be addicted to what the internet delivers to them, i.e. information or whatever.

Powder Junkie Moderator

1. Yep, use it everyday when I'm at school. At home maybe a few times a week.
    2. Nope.
    3. Never went out a lot anyway.
    4. At school I always eat in front of my comp, checking the forums, hardware news and such.
    5. I don't spend too much time on it. When I need to do something I do it.
    6. Nope.
    7. Check it a lot for forum notifications. Minutely when Outlook is on.
    8. Don't have a website.
    9. In the comp lab sometimes I'll log on to see if there's any email but generally don't log onto the forums. Take too much time.
    10. I used to be afraid since my parents take a negative outlook but don't really care any more.
    "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

Serious Gamers Halo Custom Edition
    Green Leaves!

My addiction is the classifieds on the forum :P , i dont have anyother expenses so i spend alot , i mean ALOt of pc parts (ie past 3 weeks over $1000 total and rising :P) We need a support group :X

Yes
    Yes
    Not usually.. But that has been the case last couple of weekends, and I have been on the net A LOT.
    Yes
    No
    No
    Yes
    No
    Yes
    No

Hi, my name is Nilesh, and I'm an internet addict Being a software developer I've got access to it all day long, so there is no getting away from it. Just the other weekend I was at a party and had been drinking so I stayed there, I was fiending for Internet access. I wanted to go and write an e-mail or post a message somewhere. Maybe I need to get some net access on my phone

There is hope for me, though... On a 10-day vacation to Brussels and Amsterdam I had access to the internet on many occasions, but didn't even really want to use it and only used the net maybe 2 hours during the enter trip. Being away from the computer was actually a relief.

Hi im jimstandard, and I'm an addict i cant complete any of the 12 steps, yes to all of your questions

If it weren't for the 'net, I would probably barely use my PC. I even work in the internet industry!

So yes, I'm an addict. I spend LOTS of time online. Not an anti-social amount, and it doesn't hurt my life, but I should probably be doing things like exersizing and socializing a bit more than I do.

--Illah

yea well here is my story, well finally its summer time. ALL of my firends that live around me have gone to poland on vacation. So im sitting here on the internet for the most of the day. If i want to chill with some ppl i have to get on my bike a pedal my self 1/2 way across town lol. WOW how much i regret i didnt get a plane ticket to poland :/
    CPU: AmD XP 2500+ @ 200fsbx11= 2.2ghz
    CPU COOLING: SLK-900(A) lapped + TT Smart FAN 2
    RaM: MuSKIN Level 2 Pc 3500 @ 400mhz 2x256
    MoBo: AbIt NF7-S Rev 2
    POWER SUPPLY:Sparkle 400w
    GRAPHICS CARD:PowerColor R9700PRO
    PL
    Respect to the man in the ice cream van