• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ad-aware--Is it worth installing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Adaware is awesome, update and run it regularly and your computer should stay free of spyware.

IMOG said:
BTW, I guess I should mention that I have no confirmation of this feature in Adaware, but I have heard others mention that it is there in paid-for version.

its called ad-watch

ya, it's called Ad-Watch and it comes with the Pro version. It sits in your systray and watches for adware that is downloaded or something. I never used it, but that's supposed to be how it works. I use adaware but i don't really like it. I use spybot search and destroy and spy sweeper. Spy hunter is pretty good also.

Not having some sort of ad/spyware remover is silly since there are so many free ones available. It's just like having a virus scanner and you wouldn't wanna go without one of those would ya? ;)

ohhhh i know what ad-watch is... wow it catches soo much stuff. it catches anything changing your registry. i HATE spybot. i used to like it, but now it blocks something called Avenue A and on whatever site it blocks that on, the site won't load. it even blocks it from ocforums... i have no idea what it is, but reputable sites, like this one, yahoo, forbes, all have it and it annoys me so much. i like spyware blaster much more.

I have the pro version and get the ADaware newsletter. There was in interesting writeup about spyhunter, I was pretty shocked that they tried something like this. here is the article

SpyHunter now included in Ad-aware's database

By Åsa Karlsson - Content Manager

Enigma Software Group Inc. is the company behind the SpyHunter software. They claim that “Our suites are built to address the need of privacy protection and computer security. We empower internet users to take control over their computers against Spyware, parasites, SPAM, and others obtaining your personal information online!” However, what’s not disclosed is the hidden transmission of the Microsoft Windows Product ID to their servers every time their software checks for an update. They also uniquely identify their users by use of a unique ID for each installation. This unique ID is also sent to their servers undisclosed. This is something we at Lavasoft find highly questionable and unethical.

Enigma Software Group also uses questionable methods to market their software SpyHunter. Their pop-up ads resemble virus alerts from well-known anti-virus programs, and DOS windows displaying fake scan results.

The pop-up ads can be found here:
http://www2.enigmasoftwaregroup.com/TMP/1.htm
http://www2.enigmasoftwaregroup.com/TMP/2.htm
http://www2.enigmasoftwaregroup.com/TMP/3.htm
http://www2.enigmasoftwaregroup.com/TMP/4.htm

and here (mirrored site):
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4

Internet users are tricked into believing their computers are infected with “a spyware virus” and that they must download and scan their computers with SpyHunter to get rid of it. The SpyHunter scanner is free to download, but in order to remove these items, the software must be purchased.

Earlier this year the so-called anti-spyware software SpyBan was removed from the website Download.com because adware was installed along with the software. According to News.com SpyBan “had failed to disclose and explain all the software components included in its installation, a violation of the Web site's policies”.

Enigma Software Group’s End User Licence Agreement does not contain information about SpyHunter transmitting a client id or the Product ID of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. That is why we at Lavasoft hope that SpyHunter will be removed from the Download.com website soon.

Why SpyHunter has been added to Ad-aware's database
While some may claim adding SpyHunter to Ad-aware’s database is an attempt to defame a competitor, our users trust us with protecting their privacy, and when another company is doing the very thing they’re claiming to help protect against, Ad-aware is there to ensure our users’ privacy isn’t deceptively violated.

All items added to Ad-aware’s database are qualified using a Threat Assessment Chart (TAC) prior to inclusion. The system is based on a total of 10 points, 1 being the least and 10 being the most threatening and/or problematic. Behavior and intent weigh more heavily towards becoming a legitimate detection than do the technical aspects. Please note that applications that are difficult to remove and cause system instability due to poor coding and DO NOT contain any further violations as described below ARE NOT considered for inclusion in the Ad-aware database.

Points are added according to the following criteria:

Removal – One Point
Integration – Two Points
Distribution – Two Points
Behavior – Three Points
Privacy – Two Points
An application requires a TAC number of three or higher to be included in the database.

More information about the TAC can be found on the Threat Assessment Chart page.

SpyHunter from Enigma Software Group Inc. has received a TAC level of four and has been added to the database. The TAC level was determined using the following information:

Removal – No Points Received
This item does not have any characteristics which match those defined in the Removal section.
Integration – No Points Received
This item does not have any characteristics which match those defined in the Removal section.
Distribution – Two Points Received
This item’s End User Licence Agreement (EULA) does not contain information pertaining to the transmission of a client id or the Product ID of the Microsoft Windows Operating System.
This transmission is not disclosed in the EULA. More information about this transmission can be found in the Privacy section.
Behavior – No Points Received
Privacy – Two Points Received
This item transmits the Product ID of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. This ID is transmitted as part of the update check process.
MemScanner is the memory-resident portion of Enigma.SpyHunter. This component transmits a Unique ID during its update process.

interesting article. One of my instructors at school mentioned SpyHunter and said how great it was so i ran it once or twice and it seemed pretty nice. Guess it's time to get rid of it :)

Do you browse the web? If so download adaware and run it I bet your machine is crawling with adware and stuff

ya like kendan said you get adaware just from using the internet. i download no cracks or illegal stuff, actually basically the only thing i download on the computer in my sig is omega drivers. (usually i download stuff on my old computer and then send it to my computer) When i run adaware i still usually get some spyware stuff just from the web... usually in the form of cookies. i can guarantee that if you just even use the internet you have spyware on your computer.

Like Kendan said, if you browse the web, especially if you use IE... You have a lot of spyware on that machine.

Hehe, thanks for the info guys! I shall head over to their website and download it soon :)

Back