• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ad-aware--Is it worth installing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirjinx1974

Some spy-ware programs install spy-ware on your computer and some do not. Does this program have anything that is fishy about it? I see a lot of people talk about it and how it works good. Does this program also run along with windows and prevent spy-ware from installing on your computer? Would this program slow down my computer any? Thank you.

Ad-aware will not install spyware.

Ad-ware only removes the spyware.
Spybot Search and Destory has a immunize feature that supposedly will prevent it.

Ad-aware will not slow down your pc.

yes adaware is worth installing. I use it all the time and it does a nice job. spybot S&D also works well and using them both is a good way to keep things clean

This spy-ware, what does it do? Can spy-ware track my computer and posibly steel some of my passwords and things? I do not know much about it. Possibly, could you point me in a direction so I can read and learn about spy-ware and what it does and how it works?

spyware usually collects personal information and such. i guess it could get passwords if it was made that way

i use adaware almost daily. i update and check more or less each day. its good. i remember doing it on my friends computer that had never been searched for spyware before and tehre were over 600!! lol.

i dont use any type of spyware remover software, yeah i know i have spyware, but when it gets too much, i just reformat. it saves me a lot of time

i currently dont have internet access :( but i still install it anyway since some prog comes with spyware

lol, how are you posting then =P just kidding; you're likely on another computer at the moment .. yadda yadda yadda..

i don't download adaware because i don't download things with spyware. i'm preeettttttttyy sure that things like ati catalyst drivers or ut2k4 patches don't have spyware =P Though if you suspect you do have spyware (which i'm sure i will given a few months) then adaware is a rock solid program.

Calculusaurus said:
lol, how are you posting then =P just kidding; you're likely on another computer at the moment .. yadda yadda yadda..

i don't download adaware because i don't download things with spyware. i'm preeettttttttyy sure that things like ati catalyst drivers or ut2k4 patches don't have spyware =P Though if you suspect you do have spyware (which i'm sure i will given a few months) then adaware is a rock solid program.

Do you browse the web? If so download adaware and run it I bet your machine is crawling with adware and stuff;)

Turd Furguson said:
Ad-aware will not slow down your pc.

If you have a very old PC and use Add-aware's Add on program called ADD-Watch, it may slow you down a tad, but Add-aware like Turd stated doesn't slow you down and is worth installing.

If you install it, let us know how many spyware programs it finds ;)

Calculusaurus said:

ya like kendan said you get adaware just from using the internet. i download no cracks or illegal stuff, actually basically the only thing i download on the computer in my sig is omega drivers. (usually i download stuff on my old computer and then send it to my computer) When i run adaware i still usually get some spyware stuff just from the web... usually in the form of cookies. i can guarantee that if you just even use the internet you have spyware on your computer.

Calculusaurus said:

Like Kendan said, if you browse the web, especially if you use IE... You have a lot of spyware on that machine. ;)

BTW, Adaware also has an immunize feature I believe, you just have to actually pay for the program to get the immunize function. ;)

I love it, adaware 6.0 has gotten rid of about 1000 instances of spyware, mostly cookies, but some nasty nasty force downloads.

IMOG said:
Like Kendan said, if you browse the web, especially if you use IE... You have a lot of spyware on that machine. ;)

BTW, Adaware also has an immunize feature I believe, you just have to actually pay for the program to get the immunize function. ;)

what is that supposed to do? i have the professional version but i don't see what you are talking about :eh?:

Stop future re-installations on certain things. ;)

BTW, I guess I should mention that I have no confirmation of this feature in Adaware, but I have heard others mention that it is there in paid-for version.

Back