• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800PRO 256 DDRII or 6800NU 128 DDR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
uSh! said:
yes, but are those Sapphire 9800PRO 256 DDR really XT's? And if yes, will 6800NU outpreform 9800PRO(XT) with 256 of DDRII?

Some are. You might get lucky and get r360 core (the core the xt uses) or you might get an r350 core (the core the pro uses) There really isn't a way to garuntee that you get an r360 core, but people seem to be having good luck with them lately. The 6800nu will still out perfomr a 9800XT.

6800NU.

Unless for some reason it won't fit in your case or your have a sub 350W power supply.

And Welcome to the forums! :)

Get the 6800NU. its higher clockspeeds will make up for the lesser memory.

128 - 256MB vga wont be a big deal until 2 years from now. (not just speculating - 64MB cards had been around for 3 years and only in the very end it became a bottleneck).

The Nvidia will also get newer drivers, which will make it even faster. the 9800 has 'finished'

No problem with that :) XaserrIII and Thermaltake 480W ;]... Ok, thank you all for helping me with this hard decission ;).

uSh! said:
Now I'm almost sure that i will buy 6800NU. Someone else wants to say he's own opinion :)?

Sure. Here's my opinion.
My 9800p runs 470+/390 before any voltmods or alternate cooling.
It will run any game out there beautifully and I'm pretty sure it will continue to do this for several more months since I run Far Cry with all details maxed.

Now,
currently I'm getting 21.5k 3dmarks and 7.5k3dmarks, pretty sure last aquamark bench was around 50k +/- (can't remember).
I will not be upgrading video cards until I buy all new PCI-E board etc.
At that time I will research to see which cards can be unlocked or offer the best "bang for the buck" (just like I did w/ this 9800pro that is now 9800XT flashed but with 350 core.)
It will probably be the x800xt in my case; in PCI-E form. I definitely do not feel pressured to upgrade w/ this card - although normally I do every 6 months or so.... - it is fast and the graphics are stunning! :)

So, I would look for the best deal I could find and if it happened to be the 9800p (which I think it will $$ wise), I wouldn't hesitate to use the 9800 Pro.

And that's my opinion. :)

Heh I need to buy a new graphics card becouse right now I'm using my old plain GeForce 3. And if GeForce 6800UN is better than 9800XT then I will buy it bocouse it costs less too (ah those prices in Poland).

Ok Ok I take it back. 6800 > 9800 but I still contend that a X800 would be a better buy. Its faster and has better image quality and runs better Tri Filtering than the 6800 does. I mean the 9800 has better shader quality than the 6800. Also SM3.0 means nothing on the current gen of cards. If you released a game to use it the card would crawl. Typical Nvidia promote a useless feature that the card can't do well. :rolleyes:

stop recommending something he already dismissed as an option. the x800 is to much and he said it a few times yet people keep recommending it. the question was which would be better a 9800pro 256 DDR2 or 6800nu. so keep that in mind

Dragonprince said:
You need to go look at some of the test results people are posting. 6800's do not fully support all of the shaders in DX9, unlike the X800's.

More powerfull how? The ATi cards have a significant clock advantage, 16 pipes, and virtually identical ram.

The fact that the X800 is using an suped up R300 core is a comfort , not a concern. The R300's have established themselves as powerful, efficent and a shader powerhouse. More bothersome is that a tweaked R300 core is keeping pace, if not beating, nVidia's next generation product.

The ATi R300 line has supported HDR lighting in hardware (not emulation) since introduction and the X800's in particular are well ahead of the 6800 in rendering HDR effects, so where's your proof to back up your claim?

Coming into a discussion and ranting about ATi fanboys by showing your own Fanboy talents is rather silly. Offer some proof of what you claim.

i wasnt being a fan boy, i was showing that the 6800 wasnt just something to laugh at. until i saw the 6800gt i had plans to buy the x800. wheres the fan boy in that?

there is no reason to be a fan boy, bang for the buck makes more sense. and all the proof, its all in other forums, magazines and websites scattered all throughout this GREAT world of ours.

and did you not notice that i said they were now on par with one another?
(i just edited it because i realized i wrote "nvidia has gotten their sh*t together and they are not on a level playing field." and the not was supposed to be now.)

the 6800 to me makes more sense and seems to be the better buy. i mean ati won the last 2 generations because of the 9700's early support of dx9 that nvidia naively left out of the gforce 4 line. the fact that they are making up for it with all the new technology just proves they are working towards being the nvidia of old. and all this means that we get our better cards cheaper :D

and again, go with the 6800 over the 9800pro/xt

You Know what should be kept in mind? Its your money, Buy what you want. Why would you ask and keep asking when you have made up your mind? I dont have strangers Pick My Hardware. Ill ask an opinion, And go Read the reviews from MANY sources. These kind of threads Get the Forum all in an uproar and arnt worth it now are they? :bang head

Buy what your heart tells you to. There BOTH great cards.

Heck My 9800pro Plays ANYTHING out at Max at OVER 50+fps includeing farcrappy.

Harry

jesus this thread is a mess. what a horrible way to waste a thread. he already specifically said he didn't care about the x800 he wants to know about the 9800 pro and the 6800nu ONLY. there should BE NO suggesting the x800 6800ultra or ANYTHING ELSE.

I suggest EVERYONE who has posted on this thread especially the newbies to goto the forum feedback section and read the "getting bored" thread. you may learn what a proper helpful response is all about.

here is a link for the lazy. I HIGHLY suggest you ALL go read it.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=2863131#post2863131

as far as the 9800pro/6800nu discussion the 6800 is the easy choice. both are really nice cards but the 6800 easily outperforms the 9800 series. if you can find them at similar prices i see no reaso to go with the 9800pro.

Last edited:
harryinny3 said:
Ill ask an opinion, And go Read the reviews from MANY sources.

The proble i had was that theres not much reviews compering Radeon 9800 series with 6800NU. Thats why I asked here and I'm happy that I did it.

EOT

thats all good. But your wrong. The ONLY reviews That were out a bit ago Only compared the 6800nu and such with Only Last generation ATI cards. Thats why I couldnt understand the Hype On some Posts.

Good luck in your choice.

Harry

i would have to say that if im in your place i would go with the 6800. but some people line ati and so on. really they are both great cards.

Back