• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800PRO 256 DDRII or 6800NU 128 DDR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm not here in Poland... 6800NU = ~400$, x800PRO = ~500$, 9800XT ~400$ :). You're lucky with prices but not me :/ C'EST LA VIE...

FWIW, the Sapphire 9800 Pro 256 DDRII I got from newegg recently was for all intents and purposes an XT, right out of the box.

Unmodded, I overclocked it to XT specs and ran it there for several days without ill effects. I then flashed the BIOS using the Sapphire XT BIOS.

Now it IS an XT as far as I'm concerned. Overdrive and temp monitoring came right on line immediately. I've had projects pulling me away from really winding it up further, but I did take the time to put a VGA Silencer and some ramsinks on it and test it out @ 430/375, which ran very well.

This: (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-290&depa=1) is the card I got.

My $.02 USD. ;)

stratcatprowlin said:
I have to say though ,its nice to see people recommending Nvidia again.

I guess they really learned their lesson with the FX line.

That has yet to be proven since no one has a 6800 to test with yet. Also since they have gone to a whole new generation of core and card technology I dont see the results as impressive as everyone is claiming, let's not forget that nVidias "new generation" has its hands full trying to beat ATi's last generation with a couple of tweaks and a core clock increase. Let's try to keep some perspective on this, though I agree 100% with the comment on competition being a good thing for all.

Last edited:
L>MS said:
x800 is in an entirely different ballpark from the 6800nu. Saying that the x800pro will run faster in some things than the 6800nu in some things with any air of bewilderment is comparable to wondering why an Nvidia 5200 is faster than Voodoo3.

Speaking of which. DO NOT if you like pretty graphics buy any ATI card if you can afford the 6800 family cards. ATI does not support full trilinear optimizations (or something like that... they did a really faulty shortcut to do so) or SM3.0. Both things that you want.

The new N40 line makes ATI look stupid. For a while, well for a pretty long while ATI did beat Nvidia in IQ, but now Nvidia has once again taken the lead with the N40 family. Faster cards, better IQ full Linux support (Ohh yeah, cheaper in most cases too seeing as all of the x800 pros out there right now cost 450 bucks, some even for preorder). What more could you ask for? I will take my eVGA (gotta love them, comes overclocked and with a better heatsink, ohh yeah free Far Cry too) 6800nu any day over the x800 pro.

This whole post is full of unsupported opinion. The X800 Pro runs faster than the 6800nu in everything...not somethings. The X800 Pro completely outclasses the 6800nu.

The graphics quality of the 6800 series, if anything, is just catching up with where ATi has been for the last couple of years. Given the multiple examples of texture corruption with the 6800 that have been shown in these forums I would hesitate to say they have equaled ATi yet. Hopefully driver optimization will even the playing field.

Ati and nVidia have moved closer to each other in the way they provide filtering. nVidia invented Brilinear filtering, not ATi, which was the first move away from the imaginary and non-exsistant "trilinear" spec for filtering. No one has the "right way" of doing filtering, what looks best is the right way.

N40 makes ATi look "stupid" ? Please. N40 has its hands full dealing with ATi's last generation of video cards with a tweak or two and a core clock increase. I hardly think this makes nVidia look "smart".

If your 6800nu makes you feel good than good for you.

Personaly I doubt the 6800nu can hold a candle to any X800 series card, but then I based my desicions on fact not fiction.

So can anybody help me? Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO DDRII or 6800NU 128 DDR ?? Plzzzz no X800PRO , no 6800GT/Ultra just those two cards please !!!

Ush if I was you I'd go with the Radeon, Overclock it like it can and then just ride out the storm. You'll have better picture quality than with the 6800. Nv sacrifices pretty for speed again this round.

6800nu and the question didn't even involve an ati x800 so leave it out. i hate when this kind of thing happens. it all leads to flame wars.

rofl wow
to the ati fan boys that hyjacked this post:

the 6800 is something new, thats why its not as efficient as it could be with power yet. it has 9.0c capability which the ati card doesnt offer. and it more powerful. the x800 cards are using a modded 9800 core meaning there isnt much headroom to go to as far as new technology. and the 6800 USES hdr unlike the x800 line that "emulates" it, and kills performance while using it.

nvidia has gotten their sh*t together and they are now on a level playing field.

and to comment on the subject of the post, easily go with the 6800. it will definately get you further than the 9800 will, even with half the ram.

Last edited:
jo3 said:
it has 9.0c capability which the ati card doesnt offer.

and it more powerful.

the x800 cards are using a modded 9800 core meaning there isnt much headroom to go to as far as new technology

and the 6800 USES hdr unlike the x800 line that "emulates" it, and kills performance while using it.

nvidia has gotten their sh*t together and they are not on a level playing field.

You need to go look at some of the test results people are posting. 6800's do not fully support all of the shaders in DX9, unlike the X800's.

More powerfull how? The ATi cards have a significant clock advantage, 16 pipes, and virtually identical ram.

The fact that the X800 is using an suped up R300 core is a comfort , not a concern. The R300's have established themselves as powerful, efficent and a shader powerhouse. More bothersome is that a tweaked R300 core is keeping pace, if not beating, nVidia's next generation product.

The ATi R300 line has supported HDR lighting in hardware (not emulation) since introduction and the X800's in particular are well ahead of the 6800 in rendering HDR effects, so where's your proof to back up your claim?

Coming into a discussion and ranting about ATi fanboys by showing your own Fanboy talents is rather silly. Offer some proof of what you claim.

You realize that all this fighting is pretty much useless since we don't know the full potential and limits of each card. The 6800's aren't widely availible so we don't fully know what they can do, and also there is the potential from greater performance with better drives since Nvidia is on top of its game when it comes to good drivers. The X800 has proved to be a really strong card in itself and its only getting better with the release of better drivers in the case of the 4.6 and the beta 4.7 for the Pro's. We really can't choose a winner for atleast another month when both series of cards will be main stream IMO.

I'd pick a 6800nu, it's just plain faster then a 9800pro

Dragonprince said:
6800nu will outperform the 9800 Pro in most cases so it just makes sense...
yes, but are those Sapphire 9800PRO 256 DDR really XT's? And if yes, will 6800NU outpreform 9800PRO(XT) with 256 of DDRII?

Back