• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800PRO 256 DDRII or 6800NU 128 DDR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uSh!

As in the title... which one of these two will be better? I don't wan't any suggestions to buy 6800 Ultra or so. And one more question: Are the 9800PRO DDRII from Sapphire really 9800XT?
Thx for any help.

ps. I'm short on time to make the decission!

I was in the same situation as you. From what I've read the 9800 pro will give you about ~6000 3Dmark03 marks, while the 6800 will give ~8000 3D marks. The lack of the extra 128mb of ram was kinda hard to get past, but I still think the extra performance of the 6800nu will outweigh it. I went with the 6800nu. (Just ordered it today)

As for your 2nd question, some of the 9800pro's are able to be modded to a 9800XT. There really isn't a way to check to see before you order it, but people seem to be getting good results. Either way, the 6800 will be better than the 9800XT or the 9800 pro.

You mention that time is an issue. the 6800's are still pretty scarce while the 9800pros are pretty common. You might not be able to get a 6800 before you could get a 9800. If time is really that important, the 9800 would be your best bet. However, if you can wait a week or 2 than I would go with the 6800.

The extra ram realy doesnt help very much as of now. Perhaps in the future, but you may want to save cash and get a normal 9800pro 128mb. I suggest the 6800 over it though, at stock you will get about 3000 more 3dmarks.

I have to say though ,its nice to see people recommending Nvidia again.

I guess they really learned their lesson with the FX line.

You have a GF4 MX420, and you STILL, despite how crappy your videocard is,like nvidia, who does that?

Ok, IM going to answer your question then I dont want to hear any more nonsense from you.

First My response to Jiggahurtz was to warn him that making a statement like that is likely to start a war here.

Second,My MX is not crappy for what I use it for.

Third, My last card was a 9600XT and loved it And would buy ATI again if I felt It was the best choice.I am not biased towards either side of Nvidia or ATI.

Finally, I said it was nice to see people recommending Nvidia again because the playing field is not one sided anymore and Nvidia has come out with a product that directly competes with the ATI cards.This Is a good thing for everyone because we have more Video cards to chose from when buying.

"nonsense", what now

stratcatprowlin said:
Finally, I said it was nice to see people recommending Nvidia again because the playing field is not one sided anymore and Nvidia has come out with a product that directly competes with the ATI cards.This Is a good thing for everyone because we have more Video cards to chose from when buying.

ATI still hustles Nvidia, just take a seat

easy, buddy. some people are old enough to remember the days of the old RAGE cards ;) there was a day that people never thought ati could come close to producing quality cards. but every generation or two goes back and forth between the two companies now, and that's how it should be. it's called healthy competition, and it's uncalled for to claim that one company is really any better than another; I don't take either side. I use an NVidia card, but I would use whichever made itself the better option at the time. and don't bash MX users either, we travel in packs! ;) my MX plays UT2k4 at normal range video settings 1024x768 at 40+fps, VERY playable. sure, it doesn't benchmark the highest and doesn't have pixel shaders, but who cares? this is a website for overclockers. overclockers, not just people who want to buy the hardware high-end to begin with. also, ati cards are generally not as forgiving with bus overclocking, so in motherboards without agp locks, NVidia may be the safer option.

With healthy competition between 2 company's, it benifits everyone. Not only does it drive prices down, it makes both companys try to make better products. Yes the X800 pro is faster than a 6800nu. Its also $100 more expenisive. So its not the best card out there. But it is a damn good one. Being "speed king" only goes so far, because not everyone can afford a $600 video card.

The following statements are inflammatory (I'm boldfacing the offending portions):

You have a GF4 MX420, and you STILL, despite how crappy your videocard is,like nvidia, who does that?

ATI still hustles Nvidia, just take a seat

Don't make personal jabs at people or use inflammatory language or you'll find yourself on a vacation. This is your warning; I'm not tolerating this kind of infantile behavior. In the meantime, look for my sticky in this section. -- Paul

x800 is in an entirely different ballpark from the 6800nu. Saying that the x800pro will run faster in some things than the 6800nu in some things with any air of bewilderment is comparable to wondering why an Nvidia 5200 is faster than Voodoo3.

Speaking of which. DO NOT if you like pretty graphics buy any ATI card if you can afford the 6800 family cards. ATI does not support full trilinear optimizations (or something like that... they did a really faulty shortcut to do so) or SM3.0. Both things that you want.

The new N40 line makes ATI look stupid. For a while, well for a pretty long while ATI did beat Nvidia in IQ, but now Nvidia has once again taken the lead with the N40 family. Faster cards, better IQ full Linux support (Ohh yeah, cheaper in most cases too seeing as all of the x800 pros out there right now cost 450 bucks, some even for preorder). What more could you ask for? I will take my eVGA (gotta love them, comes overclocked and with a better heatsink, ohh yeah free Far Cry too) 6800nu any day over the x800 pro.

hmm wasnt it nvidia that turn off trilinear filtering altogether even if it was selected ??

i dont know y u would pick a 6800NU over the X800Pro its on par around a 6800Ultra

but to answer the POST TOPIC get the 6800NU but to be honest that wasnt really a fair choice thats like asking sould i get a Ti4600 or a 9800XT

Last edited:
I think u would get a 6800NU due to it being chepaer than the x800 and if you were going to pay 400 why not get a nvidia 6800GT card.

DayUSeX said:
I think u would get a 6800NU due to it being chepaer than the x800 and if you were going to pay 400 why not get a nvidia 6800GT card.

I agree with this. Look around the forums and it seems that the 6800GT is the best choice for overclockers due to it simply being slower clock speeds, yet it only requires one molex connector and has a single slot cooling system. But, if you don't want to save up, go ahead and get the NU

Back