• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check out the new S775 article from THG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
personally i think a lot of people under-estimate the value of people like us (OC'ers) who push the limit of these technologies do for these companies.

1. Advertising, there are so many web masters, IT pro's and other computer related people in this forum, advertising for free these cpu's and the fact they OC that it has a much larger impact than just what we buy.

2. Pushing these technologies and cpus forces companies to produce new hardware, and has dispelled so much BS from intel and others its not funny. If it wasnt for us, everyone would believe adding more voltage to cpu would kill it dead, and changing a bios setting would make your computer explode.

3. We are like revolutionaries of the hardware world, if we wernt around, Intel, Amd, and who ever else, could say whatever they like and no one would question them. So we keep the cpu companies honest (to an extent).

And honesty is bad for business, so im not surprised they want rid of us.

so like i said, anyone who knows how to use their pc will just continually be dispointed because more and more the computer is made for people who couldnt operate a toaster (one already plugged in). Personally i hope a third player enters the market, i dont care what country, what speeds, as long as i can do what i want with it you know, not have these god damed limits on everything.

Yeah, and i was seriously considering buying an intel system for my next rig, cuz amd cant get their **** straight. well, now Intel is totally out the window for me. just the fact that they would do that ****es me off, i dont care if its got a partial workaround or not.

sis and via make chipsets for intel too, and as far as i understand it, the overclocking limit is built into the chipset or at least dependent on it. so, it doesnt seem terribly impossible that they would make chipsets that completely ignore this new "feature"

amd makes a chip specifically for overclockers and performance enthusiasts, that is completely unlocked (of course until recently all their chips were unlocked.. grr)

so yeah guys it looks like we're being backed into a corner. what to do, though? i want to know, are there a lot of people selling overclocked computers and not telling the buyer? or is that just a pretense, and they're really targetting the overclockers? as has been said above, we dont even dent their profits, so why would they even bother? thats been the argument in the past, anyway.

as overclockers and computer enthusiasts, we dont have a huge impact on the market as far as sales go, but what about people we know? how many of you help others with their purchasing decisions? do you build computers for people? do you work somewhere computer related, selling computers, perhaps? whatever it is you do, i bet combined, we could cause a big public relations bruise for intel, by advertising the bad things about their chips. theres enough, in the newest generation of stuff, isnt there? heat, power, flimsy sockets, no performance gain? and what kinda joe sixpack even needs a new computer. hell, you could turn someone right around in compusa and have them go look through the paper to buy one secondhand. a good trusty 1.5ghz computer will do fine for web browsing, word processing, etc. My mom's satisfied with our five year old 366mhz celeron! (i added more ram last year, though)

ok, thats about all i have to say on the subject, but i think it would be good to make a decision and fight them if we choose to. And tell them we're fighting.

Zippykid9 said:
Yeah, and i was seriously considering buying an intel system for my next rig, cuz amd cant get their **** straight. well, now Intel is totally out the window for me. just the fact that they would do that ****es me off, i dont care if its got a partial workaround or not.

sis and via make chipsets for intel too, and as far as i understand it, the overclocking limit is built into the chipset or at least dependent on it. so, it doesnt seem terribly impossible that they would make chipsets that completely ignore this new "feature"

amd makes a chip specifically for overclockers and performance enthusiasts, that is completely unlocked (of course until recently all their chips were unlocked.. grr)

so yeah guys it looks like we're being backed into a corner. what to do, though? i want to know, are there a lot of people selling overclocked computers and not telling the buyer? or is that just a pretense, and they're really targetting the overclockers? as has been said above, we dont even dent their profits, so why would they even bother? thats been the argument in the past, anyway.

as overclockers and computer enthusiasts, we dont have a huge impact on the market as far as sales go, but what about people we know? how many of you help others with their purchasing decisions? do you build computers for people? do you work somewhere computer related, selling computers, perhaps? whatever it is you do, i bet combined, we could cause a big public relations bruise for intel, by advertising the bad things about their chips. theres enough, in the newest generation of stuff, isnt there? heat, power, flimsy sockets, no performance gain? and what kinda joe sixpack even needs a new computer. hell, you could turn someone right around in compusa and have them go look through the paper to buy one secondhand. a good trusty 1.5ghz computer will do fine for web browsing, word processing, etc. My mom's satisfied with our five year old 366mhz celeron! (i added more ram last year, though)

ok, thats about all i have to say on the subject, but i think it would be good to make a decision and fight them if we choose to. And tell them we're fighting.

amen...amen.

Well about Intels launch... It does look quite bad for a product thats supposed to be out in what days?
well, but everything shows promise, DdrII shows promise and so PCIe I think they are 2005 products, but they will be good.

wake up guys, if its true that intel will cut fsb overclocking, im willing to bet my house amd will follow suit-

we'll be left with videocard overclocking then-

Well this is similar to multiplyer locking, and AMD did follow intel on that one. Still, it took them a while and unlocked chips were still attainable shortly afterwards.

I think amd realizes that most of their market is with overclockers and people who know something about their computer

CPL.Luke said:
I think amd realizes that most of their market is with overclockers and people who know something about their computer

Maybe they WANTED us to go and get mobiles... I mean, AMD falling in the OC'ing with the desktops..... the mobiles are what they needed to keep the AXP alive :D And they make a few extra $$!

Didn't AMD start locking chips because people were taking their chips, raising the multi and selling them for more and cutting into AMD's profits?

1) intel doesnt care about overclockers...in their perspective we only cost them money instead of me buying a 2.8c for $160 i can buy a 2.2c for $120 (or whatever..not uptodate on intel prices) an oc to 2.8 ez..in intels eye this costs them $40..and we make up such a LOW amount of their total sales that they wouldent notice if we where gone..alls they care about is ther OEMs.

2) i do not see why AMD would follow suit on this one...they must realize that most of the intel OCers will start buying AMD if intels are no longer OCable. and since alot of AMDs sales come from OCers and the alike, i doubt they would stop overclocking on their chips.. its comparible to fast food...if i go to mcdonalds for the big mac...and mcdonalds suddenly takes the big mac off their menu...whats going to stop me from going to burger king for a whooper? if burger knows all the big mac eaters are now coming to them for whoopers do you think they will follow mcdonalds and take the whooper off thier menu?

just my take on things but these corporations never fail to surprise.

Kenshin Himura is right, AMD has followed anti-OC measures taken by Intel in the past and will most likely continue.

From the front page editorial:

One can of course say, "There's always AMD," until AMD decides to implement this, too.

You say, "They'll never do that?" Lots of people said just that when Intel installed the multiplier lock back in 1998, too. The same people who put the multiplier lock into AMD chips are still running the company. Given their pricing and positioning policy, they're hardly likely to be as sympathetic to people cranking up their cheapest chips as they've been in the past.

All this tells me that if I had to bet on it, AMD will be more likely than not to say "Me, too" sooner rather than later, say, in a year or two?

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1049/

The real question is how effective the lock will be or will become in the near future. If it can be circumvented fully (and not just upto 15%), then there is no imminent danger, but otherwise...

intel proccessors are just looking less and less desirable, definatly going back to AMD next upgrade, so far in the past year intel has gone from northwood (good temps + good O/C) to to prescott (space heater + good O/C assuming you have a really good cooler) to 775 prescott (space heater + poor O/C).

The end is nigh. It is only a matter of time before AMD follows suit with fsb locking. It's not a matter of "if" but "when."

If i'm choking on the $800 pricetag of an FX-53, what the hell does Intel think I'm choking on with the pricetags of cpu, mobo, vid card, and memory. No 3.6GHz Prescott will EVER out-bench my current rig. They give us DDRII, but no return to tight timings. They give us 1mb of second level cache which has YET to provide a substantial (more than 5% in SOME benchies) performance increase. Today's PCIX cards are NO faster than today's AGP 8x cards. Why launch so much at once AND limit the enthuasists abilities to explore? If overclocking didn't matter to Intel, then why stop us?

We DO matter. We DO count. Our money is just as green as anyone elses. I don't know what I'm going to do, but this cannot continue to happen. Triple the power consumption and twice the heat for less/same performance???? Intel really thinks we are 14 Karat Crazy.

Give me a 3.4C Northy and a prommie, and I'll show them just what "UPGRADE" really means.

Back